Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take your time, there's no reason to act hastily. The command is safe, I'll let others elaborate, most linux users use it all the time. Here are a few explanations. It will sometimes fix issues to update and then upgrade the app lists.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/22234...-get-update-do

http://askubuntu.com/questions/94102...te-and-upgrade
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
      Take your time, there's no reason to act hastily. The command is safe, I'll let others elaborate, most linux users use it all the time. Here are a few explanations. It will sometimes fix issues to update and then upgrade the app lists.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/22234...-get-update-do

http://askubuntu.com/questions/94102...te-and-upgrade
      No problem. I greatly appreciate your help and understanding, and patience. I thought upgrade would take me to a newer Kubuntu.. I'll be going back to Kubuntu in the next few minutes. Then I'll do the Terminal deal.
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

No hurry. This command is similar to just Updating via the muon-updater. The command is more efficient for lack of better description. It should be completely safe, but there are no guarantee's in life. I use it all the time if that helps, and many others I know use it also.

Comment

Ok, did both. Rebooting for heck of it, then do a video or two and report results.
          HP15 -
          -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Played 2 slow music videos that are very crisp, mostly acoustical w/ vocals, if that makes any sense. A pin could be heard dropping in the audio if a pin were to drop. Both songs did great. No stutter, static, other bs. Wow! Hope this is the real deal. I still believe the crap started after some unidentified update. I'm amazed.
            HP15 -

Comment

Hope it works, I'll be following to see if all sticks!

Comment

Thank you ever so much. Been a real pain for me and worse for you. I really appreciate the help. Gotta get me some more flash drives. Wanna play with (maybe my league) Mint 17.3 Mate. I tell you what, if I ever learn Terminal, I'll be like a madman on a pipe organ!
                HP15 -

Comment

No pain at all. If I were smarter we would have done that days ago lol. Yeah, flash drives are great, I'm testing Cinnamon now. Don't get expensive ones, and you only need 4GB I believe. I use the 8GB ones because they are more common these days, and cheap enough. Don't worry about going to Mate...Kubuntu is awesome! Just learn with what you have so as not to cause to much stress on you and others helping. Keep it fun, work with what you got, and learn it until you break it. Now we just got to get you into some Timeshift. In the future you can run that command to update if you like.

Did you ever setup you Firewall?

To Activate Uncomplicated Firewall; Copy Paste into Terminal: sudo ufw enable Then Password, and hit “Enter”. Note: You will not see Password – that is for security.

Optional: To check status - Copy Paste in Terminal: sudo ufw status verbose Then password and hit “Enter”

Status should look like this:
                  youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose
                  [sudo] password for youruser:

Logging: on (low)
                  Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)
                  New profiles: skip
                  youruser@yourcomputer:~$

Comment

Not yet. Will do. I've got a pkg of 4 Lexars (8Gb per). Found the 4th earlier and I now have Mate downloaded and ready to install to the usb. Thanks for everything.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                    X