Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the "Desktop/with acorn symbol" from the desktop, not panel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove the "Desktop/with acorn symbol" from the desktop, not panel?

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit

There is a small widget that has the word "Desktop" and a small acorn on it on my desktop. I move it to other places but never use it. When I unlock Widgets, the same capabilities are available, and that is where I choose to use the Desktop features that are provided.

Most widget can be removed by right-clicking and choosing to remove, but this one is not. Can it be done? It has no use for me and gets in the way. Thanks!

I think you are talking about what used to be called the cashew. In 16.04, there is an option to remove it but in 14.04 you have to do it the fun way. Run the command
    Code:
    sudo rm /usr/share/kde4/services/plasma-toolbox* -i
    and it will offer to remove three files. If I recall correctly, I tried removing only the one that relates to desktop and it did nothing. I ended up removing all three and losing no apparent functionality.

You will have to log out and in again for it to take effect.

If you don't feel confident deleting these files, you can move them to a holding directory somewhere instead.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Better than removing stuff, you can/should still be able to just hide it. See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...toolbox-cashew
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

None of the hiding widgets work any more. I remember reading somewhere that it's due to the required bits of the API no longer being exposed for security.
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Rog131's works; I just tried it.

Right-click anywhere on the Desktop and select Desktop Settings and then select Tweaks. The option to hide the icon is Show the desktop toolbox. Un-check it to 'hide' and check it to 'show'.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Rog131's works; I just tried it.

Right-click anywhere on the Desktop and select Desktop Settings and then select Tweaks. The option to hide the icon is Show the desktop toolbox. Un-check it to 'hide' and check it to 'show'.
            Not in 14.04, unless it's a back port?
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

My bad. You are correct; not available in 14.04. I overlooked that part and tested on my 16.04 system.

Comment

Thanks to all. It is too late. I read the first reply and removed all three. It doesn't seem to affect the functionality at all. Right-click permits the adding of widgets, so I haven't lost anything I may need. By the way, I removed all three. I trust Snowhog's wisdom, and it appears justifiable. Shab

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  Thanks to all. It is too late. I read the first reply and removed all three. It doesn't seem to affect the functionality at all. Right-click permits the adding of widgets, so I haven't lost anything I may need. By the way, I removed all three. I trust Snowhog's wisdom, and it appears justifiable. Shab
                  *ahem*

Originally posted by elijathegold
                  If you don't feel confident deleting these files, you can move them to a holding directory somewhere instead.
                  It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
                  X