This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16.04

I am looking cautiously at Kubuntu 16.04 and finding it a different animal from 12.04.

Desktop icons - when I right click on these in 12.04 and go to icon settings I get a subsidiary screen offering : general, permissions, application, information and preview, but in 16.04 I get only Keyboard Shortcuts - how in 16.04 do I get to those subsidiary screens, please?

My startup sequence is Kubuntu 16.04 - Windows - Kubuntu 12.04 . I would like to bring that last entry up to the top. I have had a look in grub.cfg and the paragraphs there for 12.04 and 16.04 differ in some of their details - does that mean I cannot just do a simple swap? If not, then is there a way to change that startup sequence?

What software should I be looking for to connect to the internet? It appears that in 12.04 I am using wvdial but that is not to be found in 16.04 and there seems to be no alternative in the Applications - Internet list.

Information in response to the FAQ :
    - KDE is Platform version 4.8.5 ;
    - Konsole is Legacy version 0.97-29Ubuntu66 ;
    - processor is i686 32-bit, 64-bit Genuine Intel ;
    - the aphic query brought 'command not found' ;
    - not sure how much RAM but think I have plenty ;
    - I have two hard drives, one for systems, one for data and no optical drives.

If anyone in this forum could help with those, or point me to a How-To or a more appropriate forum I would be much appreciative.

http://docs.kubuntu.org/docs/basic.html
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Kubuntu16.04

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Well thank you for the lead, but that seems to be all generic, not specific for: v16.04 .......

Comment

I forgot to ask how, if you installed 16.04, your KDE is 4.8.5? It should be 5.
        Not specific to 16.04? Strange. The title of that link states "Kubuntu 16.04 Manual".

After you installed 16.04 a network icon shows in the system tray, on the lower right side. Right click on that and select the configuration dialog. Enter your data.

The link I gave you gives complete instructions for installing, configuring and running 16.04. It was and is easier to give the link rather than Cut&Pasting part of it here. You'll probably have other questions as well, and that link is where the answers will be. If there is some part of those instructions that you don't understand I'll be glad to help explain them.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; May 19, 2016, 07:59 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X