This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I include a menubar in Digikam?

I have tried Ctrl+ M, but that did not work. I just installed Digikam and want to configure the application. Thanks!

As installed, Digikam has the "Main Toolbar" enabled (it shows Icons and Titles [Image Editor, Light Table, Batch Queue Manager, etc). IF you disabled it, then just right-click in the area after Help and click Main Toolbar.

IF however, the Menu bar (Browse Album Tag Image Edit View Tools Import Export Settings Help) isn't showing, then Ctrl+M does bring it back. You do have to ensure that the application 'has focus' for this to work. Click on the black digiKam bar and then use Ctrl+M.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For some reason I was unable to upload an image of the digiKam screen. Additionally, Print Screen will not allow me to select an area, since I have 3 monitors, the file size was over 2+MB. I compressed to a zip to reduce the size of the file. When I selected the file and highlighted it, it opened in Ark rather than responding to the Forum image file feature. I will try to describe what I see.

My screen menu is the same as you indicated between []'s in your first paragraph, with the title 'digiKam' centered above. There is a black button with a green,perhaps forward slash at the end of the bracketed area at screen edge. There is nothing else on that line.

Below and in the left is a column with a My Albums folder with a sub-folder entitled /home/steven/Pictures. In a list of sub-folder albums are my 13 Albums.

To the right of that are images contained in the first Album. There is an area about an inch high, the width of the album blue in color on a 24" monitor full-screen. In the left of that blue area are two lines: My Albums/Pictures?Artwork and below that Album Date 10 May 2016 - 30 items. That is all that is in that window.

Below the column on the left of the screen is a Search bar.

There is no 'Help' entry on the entire screen and no 'Black digiKam' bar anyplace on the screen.

There is a column of small icons on each border of the screen that are too small for me to read. I hovered to see what was in them and nothing you described was in any of them.

I attempted selecting the Blue area in case your screen image is different from mine and every black area on the screen. None responded to Ctrl+ M.

My version of Kubuntu is 14.04 LTS recently installed. I have updated and dist-upgraded and dpkg --configure -a.

I used to use digiKam years ago and liked it very much. This fresh install is an attempt to manage my computer and images better than before. I appreciate the help, do you have any further advice. Thanks my friend

Comment

It is possible another application has snagged the Ctrl + M short cut. Editing the configuration file directly may solve the issue

• Open the file ~/.kde/share/config/digikamrc in your preferred editor.
        • Search for MenuBar=Disabled.
        • Change it to MenuBar=Enabled and save the file.
        • Restart digikam.

If you don't find Menubar=Disabled then you can add the enabled line under the [General Settings] section of the file.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          My screen menu is the same as you indicated between []'s in your first paragraph, with the title 'digiKam' centered above. There is a black button with a green,perhaps forward slash at the end of the bracketed area at screen edge. There is nothing else on that line.

Below and in the left is a column with a My Albums folder with a sub-folder entitled /home/steven/Pictures. In a list of sub-folder albums are my 13 Albums.

To the right of that are images contained in the first Album. There is an area about an inch high, the width of the album blue in color on a 24" monitor full-screen. In the left of that blue area are two lines: My Albums/Pictures?Artwork and below that Album Date 10 May 2016 - 30 items. That is all that is in that window.

Below the column on the left of the screen is a Search bar.

There is no 'Help' entry on the entire screen and no 'Black digiKam' bar anyplace on the screen.

There is a column of small icons on each border of the screen that are too small for me to read. I hovered to see what was in them and nothing you described was in any of them.

I attempted selecting the Blue area in case your screen image is different from mine and every black area on the screen. None responded to Ctrl+ M.

My version of Kubuntu is 14.04 LTS recently installed. I have updated and dist-upgraded and dpkg --configure -a.

I used to use digiKam years ago and liked it very much. This fresh install is an attempt to manage my computer and images better than before. I appreciate the help, do you have any further advice. Thanks my friend
          I was on Kubuntu 16.04 when I responded. I've now installed digikam on my 14.04 LTS system. This is the screen shot of digikam immediately after I installed it:

With digikam installed in 14.04 LTS, the Ctrl+M does turn off/on the Menu bar.

Go into System Settings and click on Shortcuts & Gestrures and then Standard Keyboard Shortcuts. Search for Ctrl+M. You should find that it is set to Show Menubar. Let us know if it isn't.
          Attached Files

Comment

Perfect solution. Wonderful reply..

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
            It is possible another application has snagged the Ctrl + M short cut. Editing the configuration file directly may solve the issue

• Open the file ~/.kde/share/config/digikamrc in your preferred editor.
            • Search for MenuBar=Disabled.
            • Change it to MenuBar=Enabled and save the file.
            • Restart digikam.

If you don't find Menubar=Disabled then you can add the enabled line under the [General Settings] section of the file.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I answered the above post and found the cure.

Comment

It would still be nice to know what Ctrl+M has 'now' been mapped to

Go into System Settings and click on Shortcuts & Gestures and then Standard Keyboard Shortcuts. Search for Ctrl+M. You should find that it is set to Show Menubar. If it isn't, let us now what it is set to.

Comment

I am ashamed to say that I haven't spent much time in that area of system settings, I believe I am curious but apparently not in that area, however, Show Menubar indicates Ctrl+M, as it is supposed to. It has worked many times in the past, yet, as I recall, it doesn't work when I have kdesudo dolphin open either.

You may not have noticed that elijathegold provided a solution that worked.

Just before answering your reply, I opened digiKam once more to see if CtrL+M works after the repair. When I entered the short-cut, the Menubar withdrew and returned when I entered it again, so apparently the additional code was the solution for both getting the menubar back as well as fixing the short-cut. Thanks to all

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  It would still be nice to know what Ctrl+M has 'now' been mapped to

Go into System Settings and click on Shortcuts & Gestures and then Standard Keyboard Shortcuts. Search for Ctrl+M. You should find that it is set to Show Menubar. If it isn't, let us now what it is set to.

Comment

Working...
                  X