• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3b disconued a DVDwrite due to errors?

DVD+R

Devices
    -----------------------
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 XP02 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] [%7]

System
    -----------------------
    K3b Version: 2.0.2
    KDE Version: 4.13.3
    QT Version: 4.8.6
    Kernel: 4.2.0-35-generic

Used versions
    -----------------------

growisofs: 7.1

growisofs
    -----------------------
    Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
    /dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 24.6x1352KBps.
    0/1946157056 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU 0.0%
    === last message repeated 17 times. ===
    WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=1h/ASC=00h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error
    :-( write failed: Input/output error

growisofs command:
    -----------------------

/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:950272 -use-the-force-luke=dao:950272 -dvd-compat -speed=24 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

I have failed the writing of an ISO several times. Am I making an error, is the K3b defective, or is the distribution causing the problem, or is my burner broken. I am attempting to install and try Manjaro-xfce or Manjaro-kde but cannot create a working IOS.

Thanks Shab

To burn an iso to disc to make a live CD/DVD OS or OS installer, use K3b.
    When you open K3b, you want to choose (by left-clicking) "More Actions ..." and from that drop-down menu, choose "Burn Image." Then a burning screen will pop up from which to proceed. Make sure you inserted a blank CD/DVD into your computer. If you get a message like "disc not found" or similar, pop the disc out of your computer and re-insert it and wait for K3b to recognize it. Repeat as necessary.

For more, scroll down to Burning ISO Images:
    https://www.linux.com/news/burn-cds-dvds-and-isos-k3b

You probably won't need this, K3b Handbook:
    https://docs.kde.org/trunk4/en/extra...k3b/index.html
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That is exactly what I did, so it has to be one the things mentioned in my Post. Or perhaps something else. Anyway, I use my DVDRW so little any more, I wanted to see if I have forgotten something. I am unable to analyse and understand the data I included. It came from K3b explaining the problem. Thanks Mike Shab

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      To burn an iso to disc to make a live CD/DVD OS or OS installer, use K3b.
      When you open K3b, you want to choose (by left-clicking) "More Actions ..." and from that drop-down menu, choose "Burn Image." Then a burning screen will pop up from which to proceed. Make sure you inserted a blank CD/DVD into your computer. If you get a message like "disc not found" or similar, pop the disc out of your computer and re-insert it and wait for K3b to recognize it. Repeat as necessary.

For more, scroll down to Burning ISO Images:
      https://www.linux.com/news/burn-cds-dvds-and-isos-k3b

You probably won't need this, K3b Handbook:
      https://docs.kde.org/trunk4/en/extra...k3b/index.html

Comment

Poor quality DVDs or CDs can give burn errors. They are also the ones that suffer data rot very quickly just setting on the shelf.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I used to have 2 DVDRW's but one stopped working. When trying to repair it, I found a small rubber band that makes the drive work, I believe. I haven't remembered to purchase a new band, but intend doing so. My other DVDrw just broke, I think the same way. I can't open the drawer and think that band is shot. I was able to use the DVD prior to that happening, so I believe is still working and just in need of the rubber band.

I haven't used my DVD much since USB's became popular. Still I think I should retain a DVDrw, at least for a little longer. I watched a fellow from the Netherlands make the same repair using a rubber band he salvaged from a cable he purchased. It was too wide, so he cut it in half. It worked perfectly. I was impressed. I am sure we throw away many valuable components rather than try to save what is still functional and easy to fix. I am going to try to fix mine.

Apparently in time, the rubber used for this purpose dries and breaks. Something worth less than a penny fixes the problem.

After a couple of years, RodJ configured my Brother printer. He is a great and humble guy. We connected via Teamviewer and I got to watch. I learned more in that time than any other since I have been computing. I am so very happy to have a working printer again. We take things for granted until we face what seems like insurmountable problems. I hadn't given up after 2 years of trying to solve the problem, until big-hearted Rod came along. Thank you for your continued help and great success in your work, my friend. Cheers

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Poor quality DVDs or CDs can give burn errors. They are also the ones that suffer data rot very quickly just setting on the shelf.

Comment

Working...
          X