Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Unetbootin capable of making any ISO file bootable?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Unetbootin capable of making any ISO file bootable?

I have a young friend who wanted help creating a USB ISO of Manjaro Xfce. USB Creaator did not recognize the application, so I opened Unetbootin.

Manjaro was not on the list of applications pre-entered in the Unetbootin application, so I copy and pasted the download file in the box to the right of 'the Diskimage (radio button) and ISO/floppy selection.

I clicked on the OK button expecting the making of the ISO. A window appeared with the following: Diskimage file not found The specified diskimage file file://home/steven/Downloads/manjaro-xfce-15.12x86_64.iso does not exist. I copy and pasted it from my Downloads folder. Thanks for any provided help Shab

I used to rely on unetbootin, but recently (six months to a year or so?) it has been giving me that message on both Kubuntu and Manjaro KDE. So, I have been using dd and have managed not to destroy my data so far.

Comment

Thanks. I also updated and installed the latest version of Unetbootin and got the same result. I am sending this reply from the Manjaro 'Try Manjaro', but the installation failed for the same reason. I haven't use dd before; I am not the most knowledgeable user. In the past, I got warnings about danger using dd, so I will have to research it a bit more before I try it. It is time, though, I believe.

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
      I used to rely on unetbootin, but recently (six months to a year or so?) it has been giving me that message on both Kubuntu and Manjaro KDE. So, I have been using dd and have managed not to destroy my data so far.

Comment

It isn't difficult to use dd. See e.g. https://www.linux.com/blog/how-burn-iso-usb-drive
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

This is from the Manjaro Sourceforge download page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/man...files/release/

"Manjaro ISO's do NOT support unetbootin, and CD/DVD's need a burn speed no higher then 4x."

Not all ISO's are compatible with Unetbootin unfortunately. I've had problems in the past with some. Usually updating Unetbootin to the latest version helps, but not always.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

For the longest time I would burn images to a flash drive using DD in the command line, but have since found it much easier and more reliable to actually use the "Disk Image Writer" in the gnome-disk-utility (or Disks in the GUI) for burning images to flash drives.

For DVDs I have used k3b, selected "burn image" and did a burn at the slowest speed possible to prevent burn errors.

Comment

Sorry for being so long in reply to this reply. I chickened out, because I am so inexperienced on the shell. Nevertheless, I decided I would like to learn this procedure, even though it looks more complicated to me than it does to you.

Before I use your code to attempt the 'dd', I would like confirmation that it is right for my computer. I operate Kubuntu 14.04 LTS and have a 64bit system. I have loads of ram and processor capabilities, so If you can confirm that the code you provided is correct for my computer, I will attempt the 'dd'. Thanks for your patience and understanding. Shab

Originally posted by arochester View Post
              It isn't difficult to use dd. See e.g. https://www.linux.com/blog/how-burn-iso-usb-drive

Comment

It is right for your computer.

If you have already downloaded the Manjaro iso it will appear in your package manager (Muon?) By RIGHT clicking on the iso and choosing Properties you should see a Name that you can Copy and Paste to replace the one given.
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Since they took the guts out of Start Disk Creator, making it semi-useless, people have been resorting to dd because UNetbootin does't work reliably. I've found that mkusb works very well for making not only persistent boot sticks but allows one to choose toram as a bootup feature
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

Here is a very extensive pictorial guide
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/pictures
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 14, 2016, 06:43 AM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My how-to for Kubuntu (dd to build the live USB):

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Or you can use cp if one is uncomfortable with dd, but be aware you can do just as much damage to a block device with cp

Code:
                      sudo cp /path/to/iso /dev/sdX && sync
                      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks friend Shab

Originally posted by mparillo View Post

Comment

Thanks Wizard10000 Shab

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                          Or you can use cp if one is uncomfortable with dd, but be aware you can do just as much damage to a block device with cp

Code:
                          sudo cp /path/to/iso /dev/sdX && sync

Comment

I followed your lead. Surprisingly I was able to follow OK, however, when I booted to the USB, K16 opened alright, but did not provide the option or Icon for install. I am sure it is just a new way of creating an ISO, but you know me, a bit slow on the trigger. Can you help? Thanks Shab

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            Since the took the guts out of Start Disk Creator, making it semi-useless, people have been resorting to dd because UNetbootin does't work reliably. I've found that mkusb works very well for making not only persistent boot sticks but allows one to choose toram as a bootup feature
                            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

Here is a very extensive pictorial guide
                            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/pictures

Comment

Due to a 'bug' in 16.04 the Try and Install links are in a very small 'box' that is in the upper-left of the desktop display. If you mouse onto the bottom-right corner and click/hold, you can drag it to a larger window, and those links will be visible.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X