This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the administrators.

I couldn't find a way to message the Administrators or an appropriate title, so I will attempt to post here.

After I create a post and want to see what it looks like to make corrections for any errors I made, the font size of the live window change to such a small font size that the words are a blur. I can't find the places to make the corrections, because I can't focus on print that small.

Using a magnifying glass is my only solution, and since my monitors are 3.5 feet or more from where I sit, I have to get up and lean forward and hunt for those places requiring correction. Usually I have to hunt for the magnifying glass sometimes without success.

If I tilt my head back to read through my bifocals, I usually end with neck pain equivalent or greater than that produced by eye strain.

I have my computer glasses set to focus at 4 feet, which has improved things a bit, but still, when fine print entries are entered I cannot read them.

In System Settings, I set all fonts to a minimum of 16. That works great for me, but when I open a browser or open certain applications that do not permit configuration changes in font size, in browsers, I have to hit Ctrl + 6 times to make for comfortable reading. Unetbootin, and the Sudo of Dolphin are two applications that do not permit increase font size by changing default. They do not respond to the settings in System Settings.

And now, when I read my post looking for errors needing correction, the font in the live window becomes so small it is a complete blur.

Using all the available solutions ends in physical pain.

It is impossible for me to believe Kubuntu Developers and Administrators and Executives would want any segment of their users to experience unnecessary physical pain. I realize I can take advantage of 'Accessibilities' features as if I were completely blind, but it seems so unnecessary, when in System Settings I can set defaults to 16 and enjoy my computer like most other users.

It is obvious that the ability to establish defaults for font size can be made, all my default fonts are set at 16. That works for me. Why not provide configuration ability that affects all fonts in all situations, at least if a part of the Ubuntu/Kubuntu family of applications.

Firefox has begun to bog down in my computer. I have a very fast CPU and lots of Memory, still I assumed the Internet speed was slowing down due to the number of users. Nonetheless, I started looking for a faster browser and perhaps something faster than Google. With my system waiting 10 seconds to open the Browser when you have an 8 core @ 4.2 Ghz and 32GB of memory seems a bit much. Or waiting a couple of seconds to open Kubuntu Forums, when previously both opened instantaneously.

I believe it a new application, but I found Ubuntu Web Browser; it moves at speeds closer to instant. Open the browser takes only part of a second and transfers to other websites about the same.

The problem is, default font size is too small to read, and I cannot read the print that is used well enough to make configuration changes if available. I suspect it is just innovation in how to use the browser, but you have to be able to read the options if options are available. When I press Ctrl +, nothing happens.

I am not suggesting that default font sizes be 16, and forcing most of the users to have to change default settings smaller to meet their appetites. That would be wonderful, though.

This forum is the best on the net. Our administrators and Guru helpers could not be better. Our operating system is so much better than second place, it is hard to see why more users don't take advantage. IMHO. I am sure there must be a reason for why things are as they are, but why don't you at least tell us the reason. That way we could argue for other options that might work. Thanks for reading. Shab

What ever is causing the problem with font size in your previewed posts here in KFN, it isn't anything with the vBulletin software we use here; it is something on your end. What that is I cannot say, but you have posted about font issues here before, with applications used in your installation. I know that none of this helps you with the issue, and I wish I could just pop on over to provide hands on help, but I can't.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info. I hate it, but I will start saving for a new set of components. It is pretty obvious that something is internally wrong with possibly my motherboard. It is the only component with lots of resistors, transistors and capacitors and the like that could affect such a wide set of issues. I suspect one of them has been only intermittently effective or malfunctions when heated or something. It is just I have never really stressed my computer to make heat rise; it has always run at acceptable levels. I have had so many problems with my computer since the last build, I may have to blame my problems on hardware.

Is my system the cause of the Ubuntu Web Browser fonts being so small and fixed and unresponsive to even Ctrl +? Ubuntu Web Browser seems to be a superior browser. I will stop my post about small fonts. Shab Does KFN mean Kubuntu Forums.net?

Comment

Working...
      X