Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have experience in the new Ubuntu Web Browser?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have experience in the new Ubuntu Web Browser?

Trying to open a website in Firefox using the Google search engine has become so slow it is getting like when I had my 25mhz computer.

It caused me to look for another browser and perhaps search engine.

I tried the new "Ubuntu Web Browser" and was amazed how fast it booted up, additionally it found my chosen site very fast.

My main problem is that I cannot read the screen.

Looking for menubar, I finally found that you could place the mouse on the bottom of the screen and drag up to find a search window. This would OK with me, if I could read the print.

Could anyone tell me why it is so hard to get a font size option in so many applications? With the new larger monitors, older folks, like me, can get most things to increase in size using Ctrl +. It works, but is such a pain, when adjustment in the default minimums or maximums makes a lot more sense. To get the font a comfortable size for me, I have to hit Ctrl then the + sign 6 times.

If I could just set my default font size to 16 or 20, I wouldn't have to continually increase with each page. If this is a very difficult thing to accomplish, please indicate why? Everything else about Kubuntu is just plain terrific, but having to resize the window's font each time I change a page or site or just open to the search page so that I can read the print is a pain.

It looks like the new browser is going to be a wonderful plus to the Kubuntu arsenal. Apparently there are some bugs to work out. If it is that new, I just found it, kind of by accident, I was so dissatisfied with how Firefox is working. There is always a delay in just opening up my start page. Sometimes getting response for my chosen site takes so long, I think the browser is broken and restart it.

It is not my intent to complain, so if taken that way, please forgive me.

By the way, when I open a screen that requires an increase in font size to read the screen, and Ctrl + doesn't work, and I cannot find a preferences option or zoom feature, by the time I get things workable, I have a major headache. I have tried to get eye glasses that will help, but the last time I got computer glasses, I requested focus be set at 3.5 feet with the ability to read 8 pt. font. Still I need additional help. You can see I have a need to know, so if you know the reasons behind this missing feature, please leave a comment.

I don't expect the industry to change for me, but there must be hundreds of thousands of people with my problem. Just to avoid the countless postings and complaints, wouldn't it be an advantage to post the answer? Thanks you. Shab

Shab, I use Firefox (V45 and V47 beta) but not the google search engine (Startpage is more secure). Speed is not a problem on either kubuntu 14.04 or 16.04.

Font size is a problem and I have set my monitor resolution to 1024x768 just to avoid the need to hit ctrl+ so often. I too have the 'old eyes' problem.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I wasn't even aware of the creation of the Ubuntu Web Browser and only found out about it looking for a faster browser or search engine. When I found the Ubuntu Web Browser, like all Ubuntu/Kubuntu inventions I have to try them, because they are usually so much better than the other offerings.

For the reasons I was looking there was no disappointment, but as is the case for lesser used kubuntu packages, font size configuration is missing. It may and probably is in the application, but not being able to read such a small default font, I have difficulty finding it. It requires using a magnifying glass with my monitor 3.5 feet from where I sit. Going back and forth and absorbing the eye strain eventually causes headaches.

For the life of me, I can not understand why some packages are missing configuration abilities common to the default system, or in this case not even being able to increase font with the Ctrl + option which is the solution that is used in place of being able to configure a larger default font, but as usual, the Ubuntu Web Browser otherwise seems better and faster than all others I have tried. I would love to use it............if I could just read the print without eye strain. I am not sure I like the way the search function will be, but each time I try the new technology ideas produced by the developers, I too like the new stuff better. But I am not sure I will ever like their new thinking when it comes to the location and use of the Menubar. I hope they never completely remove the ability to have a Menubar in the normal place as a matter of configuration.

Firefox has become so slow in operation, I want to change. It may just be my system, but I don't think so. The Ubuntu Web Browser is lightning faster in my computer. Thanks for the input, friend Shab

QUOTE=TWPonKubuntu;386849]Shab, I use Firefox (V45 and V47 beta) but not the google search engine (Startpage is more secure). Speed is not a problem on either kubuntu 14.04 or 16.04.

Font size is a problem and I have set my monitor resolution to 1024x768 just to avoid the need to hit ctrl+ so often. I too have the 'old eyes' problem.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Please remove this post

Comment

Working...
        X