Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install Skype 4.3 in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sources .... so I open Muon Package Manager, click the tab at the top that says Settings, give my password, then:

Under the tab Kubuntu software: Everything is checked except Source Code.

and

Click the Other Software tab and I see checked these:

Canonical Partners (and the Source Code)
    Independent (and the Source Code)
    (and then I have a ppa by Rod Smith for his program(s) -- but this is not relevant here to us)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'll bet your "sources" are not checked. (Post #16.)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

(Aside, about our Kubuntu 14.04 ... right now, as I check in here at kubuntuforums, I am also doing email, playing Slots at PCH.com and other games, chat-skyping with a friend, and doing other things (like some LibreOffice Writer as needed etc.)

Comment

OK, Shab, so when you start this project again, maybe in the morning (it is getting late where you are at, OH), you might try this:

Check to be sure your software sources are all checked so that Skype is available to your system (Muon Package Manager). See Post #16. Ask us here if you get stuck on this point.

Then close Muon.

Then open Muon.

And for fun, simply type into the Muon search window this:

See what comes up -- a blank page should NOT come up.

Then, if you click to install Skype, it should also automatically install for you those other packages needed.

As an option, if something hangs up,

close Muon

and run those three commands again, these:

Code:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          then
          sudo apt-get update
          then
          sudo apt-get -f install
          Then open Muon and try again (type skype in the window, click to Install it -- Remember, in Muon Package Manager, if you click to mark a package to install, you must then click Apply (in the menu at the top of the Muon screen)).

Really, that's all I've ever done to get Skype installed. (Configuring the sound and web cam is a separate issue, usually easily done, and sometimes not even required as it is automatic.)

If these steps do not work, then ...

Wait for guidance from others on how to clean this up and troubleshoot by CLI (Konsole).

I think your Sources are the key here -- Post #16.

(Note to moderators: Thanks, mod, for correcting the search window type! I made the proper correction without the strikeout so it is clear now.)
          Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 23, 2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Shab, if you can't get Skype working have you tried Google's Hangout? Just install Google Talk Plugin. It will also allow you to make calls all around the country for free, or at least it was free the last time I tried it. (But with my iPhone I don't use Hangout any more)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Dear Qmike, I have had to accept the fact that all my problems over the past couple of years are most probably due to some hardware problem that is intermittent rather than constant. Since I cannot find any hardware problem, I started to save for a new build. I do not have any idea which component is defective or if any one of them could be responsible for so many problems, I will replace everything. New processor, new video card, new memory, new motherboard, new optical drive, the only thing I may be able to salvage is my computer box and fans. I also think I will consider the purchase of a new power supply, unless someone with more knowledge than I thinks that is foolish. I have 800 Watt PS, but have heard that when they are defective various problems can occur without stopping the system completely. Thanks for trying to help me so often, I almost hope that a new system proves that my current build is at fault rather than me compounding mistakes. I may find that I am not a fool and then maybe not feel like one so much.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              Yes, exactly. My Skype works perfectly--both video-audio and chats (where you type to each other in real time). I use it all the time, around the world. I've used Skype on Kubuntu back to Kubuntu 8.04 (or maybe before that, I can't recall). I didn't do anything special to make it go ... ?

Comment

That's OK, I understand. But I'll bet you can get Skype working ... ). As for a new setup, a new machine, as I indicated once by PM to you, my philosophy is KISS--Keeping things simple. I go Intel all the way, mainstream boards (like a mainstream ASUS board), embedded graphics (not a separate graphics card), one or two hard drives, and so on ... brand-name stuff, solid but basic. Nowadays, I realize that many items are generic, commodity items, but I still try to favor certain leading brands for components. Whatever you decide, good luck with it all.

Comment

I guess I may not be keeping it simple, but I have been using AMD since I started computing. I like a fast performing PC. AMD provides more speed for the money and I am a retired fine-artist, not much retirement, so cost matters. When I selected memory, again Price had its impact, but it had the highest ratings at the time at a good price. Actually all my components are rated very high and brand name. I have never used Intel; it is like Windows and Mac or Apple, Greater Price for the label. IMHO Kubuntu is the finest OS out there, and it is free. I have never had any problems with AMD, and I have about 20 years experience with them. That's a guess, but I think accurate, so I probably won't change to Intel. My current motherboard is a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, I am not positive, but I believe that is ASUS or AMD. It has the most high tech components and highest rating. Also, it was more expensive than other motherboards.

Still, if a component is defective in my computer, I believe it will be the CPU or Motherboard.

It may sound like I have a complicated situation, but I don't see it that way. It takes a MB, CPU, GPU, and HDD to run. Mine are all highly rated, upper-end, I think. So if that is not simple, I do not understand what is meant. This isn't the first time I have heard this recommendation, but I really do not understand how to simplify my choices, unless slowing my system down is the advice. I am not positive, but I don't think my mother has an onboard GPU, so I purchased a Video Card, again highly rated with at least 4 star satisfaction by its users.

If having a dual boot is not good, I like seeing the latest stuff in use, so I keep a stable OS and a beta in my computer and always have. I can remove the beta; it is not that important to me, but it appears the LTS version of K16 is now available, so I am not sure if that if a wrong system to have, and I still prefer Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. Certain widgets that I use daily have greater functionality in K14.04 than K16.04. Even if the beta is problematic, K14, which is stable always seems to work pretty well.

And as long as there is a Linux distribution available, I will never use Windows again. I hope you do not think I am resistant, but the only thing I do that seems in any way less than simple is have the dual boot system. I only use my computer for pleasure, and having the beta is pleasurable to me. And although betas are constantly under repair, that is part of my pleasure, working the problems. It helps me learn, and even more, understand.

That's OK, I understand. But I'll bet you can get Skype working ... ). As for a new setup, a new machine, as I indicated once by PM to you, my philosophy is KISS--Keeping things simple. I go Intel all the way, mainstream boards (like a mainstream ASUS board), embedded graphics (not a separate graphics card), one or two hard drives, and so on ... brand-name stuff, solid but basic. Nowadays, I realize that many items are generic, commodity items, but I still try to favor certain leading brands for components. Whatever you decide, good luck with it all.

Comment

Everything you've said makes good sense to me . I realize AMD has "come up" more into mainstream. I may be thinking 'old days' when darn near everything was compatible with Intel. A dual-boot is OK, not complicated, and so that's OK. Buying memory: I always use the memory configurators at the memory manufacturer's website to see which memory is compatible with the motherboard I bought (or am thinking of buying). Reliable power supply is, of course, critical, as you know (based on other posts you've made). I guess you have things down pretty well, Shab.

Comment

I am wondering if dependency problems with Skype can be resolved by installing Adobe Reader. I usually find that by installing this package it removed odd behaviour with Skype. I install Skype from the repositories and not from a deb file. In the case of Adobe Reader, I have had the deb file on my system for years and always install it. You can get it from here. When this is installed it brings in a host of 386 files. This may not solve your problem, but on the off chance I decided to suggest it.

Comment

It's working, thanksShab

Comment

Did you get it working by using NoWorries tip in Post #25? (Others who end up here may be curious.)

Comment

I believe so. I had some problems with the Reader install and that is why I didn't say it was that way. I think so, but am not totally sure. Memory fails me more each day, so I may have done something I don't remember too. I am sorry for being unsure and thanks for the reply. You may have noticed that I am quite happy that it works

Comment

Hi Shab. Just one easy thing, maybe: If you open Muon Package Manager, and type in

Comment

Hi Mike, Skype is functioning now. It has been a couple of days, but it works great again. It is embarrassing, but I have forgotten the cure. It seems that every day, now, I lose more retained memory. It may be the installation of Adobe Reader that provided needed dependencies, I don't remember. I apologize to you who have the same problem, that I am unable to explain the fix better. Sorry!

Hi Shab. Just one easy thing, maybe: If you open Muon Package Manager, and type in

Comment

Working...
                                X