X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB modem signal strength in dbs ?

Hello ,

I have a usb modem and would like to get a good signal.

Is there a program in Linux which can give you a db (decibel) reading ?

The modem connects directly to my Desktop pc.

Thanks.

A 'modem' -- connected to your phone line? Not 'wifi'? IF the former, you're not going to get a signal strength indication -- no signal. Can you clarify please?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello Snowhog,

I am using the following modem :

Modem USB Huawei E3372S-153

It uses an ordinary sim card from your cell phone.

You are absolutely correct in that you will not get a signal since the modem is not wifi.

Which brings me to my question of how can you generate a signal reading in dbs ?

Actually, i think i have solved this issue in a roundabout sort of way.

I bought a TP-Link archer mr200 ac750 router today , which runs on mobile sim.

It generates a good wifi signal from the sim , in turn producing a db reading with wicd.

I calibrated this to the max and now use the Ethernet connection for safer browsing.

I am getting between 60 to 64 Mb /s down and 8 Mb/s up. Very pleased with the result.

Comment

Tethering you laptop to your 4G LTE connection? If so, how big is your phone bill each month?
        I average 90 GB/mo on my TWC internet connection. When I download a distro sometimes higher.
        I have a 30GB data plan for my iPhone6 and if I go over it there is a charge of $15/Gb for each GB over 30.
        Were I to tether my laptop to my iPhone6 I'd have no IPv6 connectivity and AT&T would be nicking me an extra $900 per month!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Tethering you laptop to your 4G LTE connection? If so, how big is your phone bill each month?
          I average 90 GB/mo on my TWC internet connection. When I download a distro sometimes higher.
          I have a 30GB data plan for my iPhone6 and if I go over it there is a charge of $15/Gb for each GB over 30.
          Were I to tether my laptop to my iPhone6 I'd have no IPv6 connectivity and AT&T would be nicking me an extra $900 per month!
          Hello GreyGeek,

Yes, a valid point on costs there.

Would it be possible to buy a paygo sim with say 150 gb limit or preferably unlimited data ?

Could this sim also be used anywhere around the world , i mean could be bought in the US and used in France ?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeuser View Post
            Hello GreyGeek,

Yes, a valid point on costs there.

Would it be possible to buy a paygo sim with say 150 gb limit or preferably unlimited data ?

Could this sim also be used anywhere around the world , i mean could be bought in the US and used in France ?

Thanks.
            Most SIM card offers fix the tethering (which they call a "hotspot") to a predetermined amount, typically at 3G. Some offer 7 and 14GB. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...imited+hotspot
            While many offer unlimited talk, text and data, most are not so lenient on tethering. Paying $90 for a meager 14GB is unarmed robbery. Maybe 7 or 14GB will fit your needs but there is one other consideration: cell tower coverage. In the USA Verizon offers the best coverage but they have predatory pricing and tethering policies. For T-Mobil west of the Missouri River good luck getting a cell phone signal more than ten miles away from a major interstate highway or metropolitan area. My AT&T coverage has dead spots a few blocks east of me
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 15, 2016, 09:40 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X