Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using the 'Bare Naked' theme, can I change the panel background to invisible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the 'Bare Naked' theme, can I change the panel background to invisible?

A couple of Kubuntu versions ago, the theme Bare Naked had an invisible background. I much prefer invisible to how it is presented in Plasma 5. I am currently working with Kubuntu 16.04 64bit.

Is there a way to change the opaque panel background to invisible? Additionally, is there a way to make the kickoff background about the same transparency as that shown on the analog clock? In plasma 5 it appears more opaque, I prefer a more transparent image.

Thanks!

You just got your system back 'up and running', and you want to begin tweaking it -- again!? Some might say to 'let a sleeping dog lay'. Just saying.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Bare Naked ******

Searching 'naked'

With 'Blur'

Without 'Blur'

Try Me !

Comment

I really would like to follow this reply. When I open Desktop Settings I get the wallpaper options and the 'Get New Wallpapers' option, but when I type in 'Naked' as shown in your image, I don't even get 'Bare Naked' or 'Naked'.

I noticed the title of your screen as 'System Settings Add-On Installer'. In my K16.04 version the choice is titled Desktop Settings - Plasma>Wallpaper>Get New Wallpapers. Are we in the same place?

Additionally, I am curious, is the 'with blur' and 'without blur' describing a transparent setting vs. invisible? Actually with the panel invisible, any images or print on the background could be disquieting for most users; that is why I believe they changed the default appearance, but aesthetics are sometimes more important than function in my life, so I prefer the previous design.

I am going to google System Settings Add-On Installer and check in Muon to see if I have some new tool to enjoy after I answer my posts. Thanks for the input, my friend.

Comment

I set up my Favorites to include System Settings. I don't find any development choices there other than web development. Using the Kicker and All Applications, I find the Development option, but I do not find a window similar to yours when I open that window. Am I looking in the correct place? My only current option is Web Development. Sorry to be such a bother, but I am very interested in your reply, LinkBot. Thanks!

Comment

system settings>workspace theme>Deasktop theme>get new themes ,,,,,,,will get you the window to type "naked" in

thanks I like this theme

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny,

I have been using this theme for years. In K15, they changed the elements of the 'Bare Naked' theme. They changed the panel background from invisible to an opaque beige color, as well as the background for the "I keep forgetting the name of the Kmenu drop-down, something like kicker', Kmenu launcher from the panel to an opaque dark grey.

Depending on your choice of Desktop Backgrounds, Invisible or transparent can be better for these features. In K16, the transparent color of the analog clock would be perfect for the Kmenu background and invisible would be best for the panel background.

It all depends on how you use your Desktop. If you have a lot of Icons for applications on the screen, perhaps these choices would not be good, but if you don't have widgets or Icons to compete with the normal Icons on the panel or Kmenu, then Invisible panel and transparent Kmenu are better.

I used to have a water-candle image on my Desktop. The entire border around the water-candle image was dark grey. On that background, the invisible backgrounds for the panel and Kmenu was gorgeous. All text and Icon images looked like they floated on the neutral background, including widgets, which became useable as well as decorative.

I spend so much time fixing my computer, I haven't had time to learn how to make a widget. If I could, I would start with the 'Bare Naked' code and make the adjustments I prefer. I believe it would be popular with users who do not like a lot of stuff on the screen covering the background.

For years I have put my panel on the top of the screen. All selected features drop from the top when selected. I locate my chosen applications, using the Kmenu launcher drop-down, and put all my most used applications in the Favorites screen. This leaves the default Desktop Background without clutter. I may use a regularly used widget on the screen and an analog clock, which replaces the need for a clock in my studio, but sometimes I don't even have anything on screen except whatever my chosen background happens to be. To make instant access to the Kmenu drop-down, I put two to three Kmenu launchers on the panel, one at each end of the panel and sometimes one in the middle.

The fact that we are constantly using the minimize or close application Icons all the time which are always on the upper right handed corner of the screen, having the panel on top and the Kmenu launcher with access to needed applications puts whatever the current position of the mouse happens to be close to one of the Kmenu launchers. I find it efficient. I also use the auto-hide feature to keep the panel hidden until needed. Moving the cursor to the top reveals the panel and provides access to all the data contained in my computer.

It really doesn't take very long to get used to having the panel on the top of the screen, and for me it speeds up the use of the computer. Additionally, the computer acts like a painting when not in use.

Vinny, when I made positive comments about the guys and did not mention your name, I was in error. You are one of the best at helping users who have impossible solutions. I am grateful every time you reply to one of my posts, because I know I will learn something valuable. Thanks for all the times you have helped me.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              system settings>workspace theme>Deasktop theme>get new themes ,,,,,,,will get you the window to type "naked" in

thanks I like this theme

VINNY

Comment

Working...
              X