This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB and Installation Help

Hey all, so, I'm not new to Linux and have used it off and on since Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. All of the previous times I have used it however, I was either in a VM or it was the sole OS on my computer.

I want to switch to Linux as my daily driver OS due to privacy concerns with the data collection policies in Windows 10 and the general movement trend in Windows as whole. Unfortunately, due to my job, I can not abandon Windows completely. So here's my computer setup:

4 Total Hard drives:
    1.5TB hard drive for my Windows 10 install /dev/sda
    500GB Steam games hard drive (don't judge me) /dev/sdb
    500GB Miscellaneous drive /dev/sdc
    160GB "Linux" drive /dev/sdd

I had Fedora 23 installed on the Linux drive, but it was INCREDIBLY unstable and would very frequently crash and lock up and I dealt with it for about 4 days before getting fed up with constant restarts. So I decided to roll to Ubuntu, specifically Kubuntu because KDE is the bee's knees. Last night I downloaded Kubuntu 15.10 and put it on a live USB to install it (I used YUMI to put it there).

I booted into the live USB and selected the 160GB hard drive and set the install to "Guided use entire hard drive". It installed in about 15 minutes and I was ready to restart and get things setup.

I rebooted aaaaaaand....black screen, blinking cursor. No boot. Switched boot priority in BIOS to my Windows drive, everything was all good.

So I booted back into the Live USB and did it again. Still no dice. So I did it again, and this time I noticed that it set up GRUB on /dev/sda! So my problem is clearly that the guided install is putting GRUB on the wrong drive, but I don't know how to fix it as I have not worked with GRUB much, and my experience has always been, well, it just works.

Do I need to reinstall and perform a manual install? If I do, what space limits should I set for Kubuntu, and Swap? Do I need to create a partition for GRUB? Never configured a drive manually for Linux before so I'm not sure what to set the amounts to.

Is there a way I can just fix the GRUB install so it is on the correct drive?

Any help y'all can provide would be awesome.

Grub is not very particular where it is installed.

There is a live distro for Grub Repair, put it on a bootable USB and run it, it will give you all the required options.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Comment

Do I need to reinstall and perform a manual install?
      -- No.

Boot-Repair may be easier to use:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

(btw, do you know, is your computer newer (after 2011) and uses UEFI as the firmware?)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X