This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot install updates - 15.10

I see that there a number of updates, both applications and system updates. When I select 'Install Updates' a dialog box pops for about a tenth of a second, then I get the notice 'This operation cannot continue since proper authorization was not provided.'
    Is there a re-configuration I can do to authorize these updates? Do I remember correctly from way back that I can set the system to run everything as 'root'?
    Maybe that would work until the release of 16.04 then everything will work right, right?
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Do it from the CLI: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Any difference?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

it sounds like their is something amiss with the authentication app ,,,,,,try doing your updates from the command line this time and see what happens .

for standard safe upgrade (no packages will be replaced with newer versions ,,,just updates to the curent.)
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
      for a more complete upgrade including replacing packages with newer versions ( I always use this one)
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      for a simulation ,,,,test run just to see what would happen without actually doing anything add the -s switch to it.

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get [COLOR=#ff0000]-s[/COLOR] dist-upgrade
      although that is not rely necessary as apt-get will ask if you want to proceed anyway ,,,,,,but it is a useful option for installing or removing packages.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OOPS ,,,,ya snuck in their on me @Snowhog

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I expect that one of the updates is flashplugin-installer. That often causes problems for GUI update managers; f.ex. I support a couple of Lubuntu users (on very old hardware) and their automatic updates choke whenever there's a new flashplugin-installer.

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Now it runs like it ought to!
            Snowhog, I just ran the commands you gave and had a big stack of operations.
            Afterward I ran the GUI updater and it halted where it should for me to enter my password, then it went forward and installed over 300 updates.\
            Thanks to you both for the walk-through and the insights.
            dk
            Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

When I had Kubuntu 15.04 or K15.10 installed this was a common problem in my installation. K15 is a very buggy beta in my system, however, when I installed Kubuntu 16.04 as an alternate OS in my dual-boot system, the problem no longer happened.

In fact, Kubuntu 16.04 is much more stable than K15, at least in my computer. It is also a bit faster during normal operation. There are still some problems with Plasma 5, but the system functions almost as good as the even more stable Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. As long as you Update, Upgrade or Dist-upgrade, daily and 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' as well, K16 is a wonderful and pretty much problem free Operating System. K15 was never stable when installed in my computer even when updated regularly.

Comment

Working...
              X