X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu and Darktable?

Hi all.
    My first post here.
    I have been using Ubuntu but I wanted to try Kubuntu for the plasma.
    the thing is I also was very glad lately to find out about Darktable,
    Ive used Gimp and Phoshop for years but somehow never even heard of Darktable.
    But i thought it would be great to be able to use an all-Linux solution rather than trying Adobe via Wine etc.
    Can anyone tell me here whether people are successfully using Darktable on Kubuntu 15.04 or 15.10?
    I wondered whether they had or whether it would be better to just go with Ubuntu.
    Thanks a lot
    webmeist

It's about a year ago I've used Darktable extensively for a particular 'project' with scanned negatives and raw photo's from my D800.

Having a large (as in pixels) screen helps a lot, on the 1600x900 of the laptop it's not very easy to access the various tools.

The user interface or tools layout is quite unusual but does have the most used functions for colour and light and I found it easy to learn a workflow.
    There is a pretty good manual on the site: https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/

The Gimp might offer more options like you can import Photoshop filters but I prefer the Darktable workflow and the way it stores the data in a database and XMP files.
    Modules are for Darktable what plug-ins or filters are for other packages, I have not tried it myself but it is possible to add and remove modules.

Right now I'm running 16.04 and Darktable works fine, I've never used it on 15.10 but there is no reason to suspect problems.

Comment

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I have about a hundred "slides" from a Cannon camera back when I was in the "sh#$"...... Windblows TRIED VERY HARD.......... using a scanner with a special "mask" that I placed a slide in.... but all I got was a dinky image...

I'm going to try this....using the "mask" on my HP photosmart 6600 ....

thanks for the info.........it may pan out....or it may not........lol......not PANasonic....lol...

i'll holler back! thank you!

woodappreciativesmoke

Comment

Working...
      X