This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Icon from System Tray

I have two of the same; Notifications and Jobs. One resides in the Hidden Icons. The other in the system tray. I would prefer to remove the one residing in Hidden Icons however either one would be fine. There appears to be no options for removing, making visible, etc the Hidden Icons. When I attempt to remove the visible icon the only option I find is Remove System Tray. Help please. Thanks.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

I don't quite understand the difference you seem to make between icons in the System tray and those that are hidden in the System Tray.

I mean, it seems your problem is you have two instances of the same icon in the System Tray, not in different places.

You might want to try to un install the kubuntu-notification-helper as it's called, log out and in again and see if one disappeared.
    If both are gone you could try to reinstall and hope only a single one returns.

No doubt there'll be a config file of sorts but I haven't found it.

Comment

That didn't work. As a matter of fact after reboot, I had two visible notifier icons showing the same two notifications. One being "touchpad disabled" and the other showing I was connected to the network, both of which are normal however this time it tells me twice. I reinstalled the helper and I still get dual icons. I can quit one and it goes away and I quit the other, it remains only removing the notifications number and replacing it with the default lowercase letter [i]. Crazy stuff.
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Ah well, I'm afraid you'll have to find the relevant configuration file.

Until KDE4 you could delete (or rename)* .kde and automagically a default one would be made.
        That way you could get rid of nasty configuration problems as virtually all where in this .kde tree.

Since Plasma 5 many of these configurations have been relocated, especially to ~/.local and ~/.config.
        Deleting or renaming them is still possible but can cause issues.

Strange enough I did not find any file with a name suggesting to hold the System Tray configuration.

* in case of problems with a rename you can always step back by deleting the newly generated files and bring back the originals.

A PS,

Many people tackle these sort of problems by creating a new user which will also include default configurations.
        Last edited by Teunis; Feb 09, 2016, 08:45 AM. Reason: PS

Comment

I appreciate your help. No biggie. It's mostly a "control" thing plus the added frustration of "how the heck does this work?".
          HP15 -

Comment

did you by accident add a notification widget area to your panel?
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
              did you by accident add a notification widget area to your panel?
              Don't think so. I get confused between "system tray" and panel". The only way I could remove any given icon was to launch "add widget". double click on a particular widget, hover over the new widget, right click, remove, move to the older widget and do same. I'm currently ok because out of frustration, clicking all over the dang place, I was able to remove 3 of 4 "hidden icons", leaving only "Application update notifier", which I like. Currently the visible icons in the lower right are, from left to right are, Software Updater, Notifications and Jobs, Volume, Wireless, Hidden Icons arrow, clock, Panel Tool Box. I like it. Just wish there was a simple method to remove any of those. It's acceptable now however issues remain. for example, I have one Notifications and Jobs icon. If I receive "2" notifications, I will then have 2 icons with the numeral 2. Before, I would have the single icon with the related numeral. Regarding the "Hidden Icons", I have yet to discover a way to "unhide" them. Makes no sense and I have researched this til I'm blind. I feel so totally lost here however with that said, I greatly prefer it to Windows though I'm very good at Windows matters from a typical user perspective. Wow, what a response. What were you asking?
              HP15 -

Comment

no no to remove a widget from the panel you need to first click on the cashew (if kde4) or the menu button ( vertical ||| here) then you can hover over the widgets and you will see a handle with the name of the widget as you mouse over it you can use the handle to drag them out or use the close button in the handle to remove them. many widgets are configurable if you right click you should something like <widgetname> settings in the menu .. for the system tray you can set what icons it show and what icons should be hidden or always visible.

if you have would like a visual aid to finding the cashew. https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Panels
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                  no no to remove a widget from the panel you need to first click on the cashew (if kde4) or the menu button ( vertical ||| here) then you can hover over the widgets and you will see a handle with the name of the widget as you mouse over it you can use the handle to drag them out or use the close button in the handle to remove them. many widgets are configurable if you right click you should something like <widgetname> settings in the menu .. for the system tray you can set what icons it show and what icons should be hidden or always visible.

if you have would like a visual aid to finding the cashew. https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Panels
                  Well I'll be. How simple. It does just what you said. Thank you very much. Good link too. We'll make this "solved". Thanks again.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                  X