Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I increase the font in the Menubar of Firefox Browser in Kubuntu 14.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I increase the font in the Menubar of Firefox Browser in Kubuntu 14.04?

I can't read the small print without much eye strain. Firefox says their config tool does not work in my OS. Is it still possible to increase the font; how do I do it? Thanks!

You can try installing the Firefox Add-on "Theme Font & Size Changer". I installed it on my Firefox (version 44.0.1) in Xenial (16.04), but it doesn't show up as the documentation says it should; maybe due to my version of Firefox. Give it a try. If it doesn't work, it can always be removed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Kubuntu 15.04. I use the Firefox Add-On "Page Zoom Button". Oh you said Menu Bar. Sorry.
      Last edited by wartnose; Feb 07, 2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Hi friend, I tried to install it. I have Firefox 44.0.1 also. When it came to downloading it. It said my Operating System was not included. I will try anyway. Thanks

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        You can try installing the Firefox Add-on "Theme Font & Size Changer". I installed it on my Firefox (version 44.0.1) in Xenial (16.04), but it doesn't show up as the documentation says it should; maybe due to my version of Firefox. Give it a try. If it doesn't work, it can always be removed.

Comment

It's a little complicated but I can give you a step-by-step that should work:

1. Open Dolphin to your home directory and in the "View" menu, tick the "Show Hidden files" box;

2. Navigate to the .mozilla directory and open it. You should see two dirctories, "extensions" and "firefox";

3. Open the firefox directory. You should see two more directories, "Crash Reports" and another directory of the form"<random individualized letters and numbers>.default". For example, mine is "9zvsb6hl.default"; yours will be different. Go into that directory;

4. If it isn't there already(likely), create a directory called "chrome" and go into your chrome directory you just created;

5. Create a text file and name it "userChrome.css". Open userChrome.css with any text editor like kwrite or whatever you prefer and copy in the following text to userChrome.css:
          Code:
            * {
          font-size: 12pt !important;
          }
          and save the changes;

6. That is the text configuration file that will now control the font size on your firefox menus. The above file sets it to 12pt font. Open firefox and see how you like it. If it's too small, change the 12 to 13; if it's too big change the 12 to 11. Be sure to save your changes to userChrome.css after each modification. You have to close and open firefox for each change you make before it will take effect. Keep adjusting the font size until you get the size you like.

Comment

Dear kilgoretrout,

I am kind of a klutz with a computer, so that was both interesting and fun. It worked great. I changed to 16 point which is best for me; I have a pretty big monitor.

There are other applications, like 'unetbootin' that use a font that is too small for me to read without using a magnifying glass. Can I make a similar folder and text document and reconfigure the font in Unetbootin?

Originally posted by kilgoretrout View Post
            It's a little complicated but I can give you a step-by-step that should work:

1. Open Dolphin to your home directory and in the "View" menu, tick the "Show Hidden files" box;

2. Navigate to the .mozilla directory and open it. You should see two dirctories, "extensions" and "firefox";

3. Open the firefox directory. You should see two more directories, "Crash Reports" and another directory of the form"<random individualized letters and numbers>.default". For example, mine is "9zvsb6hl.default"; yours will be different. Go into that directory;

4. If it isn't there already(likely), create a directory called "chrome" and go into your chrome directory you just created;

5. Create a text file and name it "userChrome.css". Open userChrome.css with any text editor like kwrite or whatever you prefer and copy in the following text to userChrome.css:
            Code:
              * {
            font-size: 12pt !important;
            }
            and save the changes;

6. That is the text configuration file that will now control the font size on your firefox menus. The above file sets it to 12pt font. Open firefox and see how you like it. If it's too small, change the 12 to 13; if it's too big change the 12 to 11. Be sure to save your changes to userChrome.css after each modification. You have to close and open firefox for each change you make before it will take effect. Keep adjusting the font size until you get the size you like.

Comment

There are other applications, like 'unetbootin' that use a font that is too small for me to read without using a magnifying glass. Can I make a similar folder and text document and reconfigure the font in Unetbootin?
              Unfortunately not; this method will only work with Firefox. You should look in your general font settings in System Settings>Application Appearance>Fonts. Also, for GTK based applications you can try adjusting their font properties in System Settings>Application Appearance>GTK. But Unetbootin is QT based so GTK font adjustment won't help you there. However, with Unetbootin, you can increase the font size by holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling with your mouse. That will increase the size of some of the text but not of the menu items.
              An alternative solution if you only have a few applications that are giving you problems is to use the builtin magnifier. Just go to System Settings>Desktop Effects and tick the "All Effects" tab; then tick the "Magnifier" box. Use the following keys to enlarge and zoom in, zoom out and return to normal:

Actual size > Meta+0
              Zoom in > Meta+=
              Zoom out > Meta+-

Comment

I will take me a little time to get used to, but it works great. Thanks!

Originally posted by kilgoretrout View Post
                Unfortunately not; this method will only work with Firefox. You should look in your general font settings in System Settings>Application Appearance>Fonts. Also, for GTK based applications you can try adjusting their font properties in System Settings>Application Appearance>GTK. But Unetbootin is QT based so GTK font adjustment won't help you there. However, with Unetbootin, you can increase the font size by holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling with your mouse. That will increase the size of some of the text but not of the menu items.
                An alternative solution if you only have a few applications that are giving you problems is to use the builtin magnifier. Just go to System Settings>Desktop Effects and tick the "All Effects" tab; then tick the "Magnifier" box. Use the following keys to enlarge and zoom in, zoom out and return to normal:

Actual size > Meta+0
                Zoom in > Meta+=
                Zoom out > Meta+-

Comment

Working...
                X