This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept

I don't know what i'm doing. I request install in adept and apply changes but have no idea where the packages go.

Re: adept

When you install programs in Linux, different parts/files of the program go to different places, depending on what they are: executables go to /usr/bin/, documentations goes to /usr/share/doc/, etc. (Unlike in Windows where the program usually just goes to C:\Program Files).

Normally, you don't have to worry about this, since programs are automatically added to the K Menu. Sometimes, they are not automatically added, in which case you have to enter this command in Konsole (and ignore the error messages):

Code:
    kbuildsycoca --incremental
    Sometimes, the programs don't get added to the K Menu at all, either because they weren't built like that (examples are 3D Chess and 3D Desktop) or because they are simply not programs to be run at all (they may be panel applets, like KWeather).

In the case that no K Menu entry is created, you'd have to make your own. So you have to search for the command that will run the program. In most cases, it will be the name of the package that you installed. Also, in most cases, the command/program can be found in /usr/bin/ or in /usr (3D Chess is installed in /usr/games/).

Hope that helps a bit.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

On a slightly unrelated note, you've just helped me work out how to get 3ddesktop working.

THANKYOU! I like teh eyecandy.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X