This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I zoom my Logitech C920 webcam?

After connecting my webcam, it worked beautifully right out of the box. I even downloaded and installed the software using Wine. It seemed to install fine, but nothing which included configuration seems available.

I have looked in the Wine C: and there are no references to the installation.

I have a large monitor and sit about 4' from it. The image in the webcam is very small. I would like to zoom a bit if possible. After viewing the youtube descriptions of this webcam, I can see it is possible, but it appears that Kubuntu configuration may be why it works, not my download.

I installed Skype and the webcam works beautifully in Skype. My grandchildren's immages fill the screen, and mine is that of a very small person in a large room, a bit out of balance. Thanks for any input.

You don't, really, as there is no zoom mechanism built into the device itself.

Now, if you mean that your own image - that you see of yourself - is a tiny thumbnail thing in comparison to the larger image you see of your family members, that is iirc how Skype and other video chat software are all set up. Your grandkids should be seeing a larger version of your video, with the small thumbnail of their own video.

You may need to see how far away you've put the webcam from you. They are designed around laptop use so they have the field of view set to be approximately an arm's length away. The cam's base thingy can be used as a stand, which may help. I bought a mini tripod for just this reason, when I wanted to use it with my PC instead of the laptop.

Comment

claydoh is correct. What you are 'seeing' is a PnP -- Picture in a Picture. The smaller one is you, while the full screen one is of the 'connected to' location. As claydoh said, those to whom you are connected to see what you see as the smaller image 'full screen'. The reverse is true on their end.

So, what you are seeing is fully correct and proper. There is nothing to be done.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What software was necessary in Wine?

Comment

I think he was trying out the logitech Windows software/drivers that comes with the camera.

Comment

The software that comes with the camera has lots of configuration capabilities including zoom features, but when I tried to install the software, it seemed to install using wine but would not open and permit me to use those capabilities. I guess it is just one of those things I will have to live with.

I was not confused about the small screen you are talking about. I meant normal configuration. I watched a youtube presentation of how to use the software, so I know it exists for the Logitech C920. You could zoom in stages, and there was no indication of limitation.

It is quite unfair that we are not able to enjoy all the benefits that we purchase. It is embarrassing to be dominated by such a pitiful and evil organization as Microsoft and all those companies who conspire together to maintain their monopoly.

Those of you who are sympathetic, vote your congressmen and senators out of office. Keep voting them out for new people until they get the message and start adding ethics and integrity to their jobs. It shouldn't take more than two or three generations of throwing the rotten bums out, before they get the message that they are supposed to represent us and not their greedy bank accounts. I AM MAD AS HELL, AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
              Those of you who are sympathetic, vote your congressmen and senators out of office. Keep voting them out for new people until they get the message and start adding ethics and integrity to their jobs. It shouldn't take more than two or three generations of throwing the rotten bums out, before they get the message that they are supposed to represent us and not their greedy bank accounts. I AM MAD AS HELL, AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE.

Theme tune taken from the BBC comedy series Citizen Smith

Comment

The software is simply cropping the video, not actually zooming. I also do not think any settings you do with their software would be applied to the camera when another program is using the device, such as Skype. At least that is how it was for me, with a different Logitech camera under Windows 7 that my ex used.

Now I do not think we can put much blame on Logitech for not creating a software for an OS with a low number of users. They do however use an open protocol/driver called UVC on most if not all their webcams. Anyone could make software that does similar things, but they do not affect how the device works with other programs

guvcview has a myriad of settings and dials and knobs that will zoom and change the color and bitrate and all kinds of things, but will not effect how Skype works. Boy was I wrong! it does seem to affect the look of video in Skype (for zooming), at least in the test window in Skype's settings sections. Not sure if anything holds between sessions or not. It may be worth a try but it does have a ton of sliders and options, many of which are not easily understood.

Comment

I apologize to all if I offend any with my rantings about what I feel is a monopoly and conspiracy in a country that is supposed to protect us from the like. It doesn't happen often, and I think I may have it out of my system for a while.

I still don't think Gates is going to be able to buy his way into heaven by returning some of the money he stole to the needy. I believe that GOD owns everything, including what Gates stole, and will not be schmoozed into giving him a break. The way I have been talking lately, you might think I don't love GOD. I, in fact, Love and Adore GOD, who always has our best interest at hand. I just don't like the want-to-be-god, who is a pain in the nickta to more people than anyone else in the world has been to continue to block our path, because we do not support him and his comrads. I love you too, Claydoh; you help everyone. I wish I had your ability, I would help too.

Comment

Working...
                  X