This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Get Permission

I've got two harddrives on my PC.  Both of them are mounted, but the one, which I plan to dump my MP3s and other such things on, won't let me write to it.  I can't figure out how to change the permissions on it.  I did a search here, and tried various things, but none of them worked. I wound up either creating a directory on my main drive, or when I did a cd to hdb1 (which is what the drive icon on the desktop says it is) I got an error message in Konsole saying that it wasn't a directory.  I'm not quite a total noob, but I'm still feeling my way around Ubuntu, so be gentle with me.

Re: Can't Get Permission

Welcome to the forums.

First off, I'm assuming this secondary drive is blank. The user Root owns the root of the drive. Therefore, only the user Root can create a directory to the root of the drive. So what we're gonna do is open konsole, and navigate to that drive by typing
    Code:
    cd /wherever_you_mounted_that_drive
    for example, my secondary drive is /dev/hdb1, however, it's mounted at /media/storage, so I would type "cd /media/storage".
    Then type
    Code:
    sudo mkdir whatever_you_want
    For example mine is called Music, so I typed "sudo mkdir music" Anytime you use "sudo" you're doing a task as Root, so therefore, you will need to supply your password.
    Then type
    Code:
    sudo chown your_user_name your_dir_name
    For example I typed "sudo chown will Music" Now that directory belongs to you. You can then go further and type
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x your_dir_name
    This will grant you read/write/execute priviliges on that folder and recursively on every folder within that one.

I hope this helps. It's easier to verbally say it sometimes vs. typing it out into a simple to use instruction set.

Will

Comment

Well, I tried all that, and all I did was make directories on the drive that I can already access. I tried to change where the drive was mounted, but that didn't work, either. Any other ideas? Perhaps a reboot is in order?

Comment

Go to /etc/fstab and open it with kate or kwrite. Copy/paste it into here. Rebooting never hurts

Will

Comment

I found THIS guide really handy in solving basically the same problem.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by cLuEdArT
            Go to /etc/fstab and open it with kate or kwrite.  Copy/paste it into here.  Rebooting never hurts

Will
            Okay, here it is, but it doesn't look to me like it's showing that drive.
            # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
            #
            # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
            proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
            /dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
            /dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
            /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

Comment

An update. I rebooted, and noticed that for some reason the drive was no longer mounted. Remounted the drive, followed the instructions you gave, and now it works! Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Working...
              X