X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running F-Prot

Hello,
    I am very new to Kubuntu Linux and have had quite a problem getting any antivirus software to install on my machine. I have been all over the net and the documentation is generally aimed at experienced users with new user info being very spotty.

I finally managed to get F-Prot to install (I think). How do I run it? I assume I go through the terminal but don't know what command to use. I floundered badly trying to get GTK to install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Running F-Prot

Hi jmanincharlotte

First go to http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_...d_fplinux.html

Download the Debian/GNU package, saving it to your desktop. Next start up adept by going to K menu -> System -> Adept and enter libwww-perl in the search field and request an install then click Apply The libwww-perl file is needed for the f-prot updater, exit Adept when finished

Next start Konsole by going to K menu -> System -> Konsole and in the terminal enter  cd Desktop then enter sudo dpkg -i fp-linux-ws.deb
    F-Prot will now install, check for updates and download them.

Enter f-prot -h  at the terminal for a list of available commands.

To perform a scan enter

f-prot [drive, file or directory] [options]
    e.g
    f-prot /home/your_user_name

will perform a scan of your home directory

f-prot /home -report=/home/your_user_name/virusreport

will perform a scan of your home directory and save the results in a file called virusreport

take your time while you learn and be careful with the options for now, you will pick it up quickly. Once in a while run the following command to update your virus definitions

sudo /usr/local/f-prot/tools/check-updates.pl

I am pretty much still new but i have f-prot on my system and it install's and works just fine. Hope this has been a help. good luck 

Comment

Oops lol
      f-prot /home -report=/home/your_user_name/virusreport

should read

f-prot /home/your_user_name -report=/home/your_user_name/virusreport

Comment

Thanks very much Daillew! I am work right now but will try this when I get home. It looks you have supplied the missing info!

Comment

I tried the commands you suggested and it turns out I had installed f-prot ok but just didn't know how to run it. Your suggestions worked great!

Thanks again Daillew!

Comment

Hi, i've never been around for a few days and i've just seen your post, glad it helped, best wishes. Daillew

Comment

Working...
            X