X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(1) Software to reposition the screen, (2) RTL8180 wi-fi support

Hi,

I am total Linux newbie, but do have 25+ years of in-depth computer experience dating back to the TI-99/4a and C64 days. Please be patient with me, and I am willing to dig in and try hard.

Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, but (at least temporarily) had to re-image W2K until I can solve the following 2 issues. I can say that I was impressed with the speed of the system (I did not expect much, as the PC is old and it seems that most modern Linux distros are rather slow even on newer hardware IMO)

(1) Does software exist to adjust the screen positioning and brightness?

I have a unique/old PC. It is an original "iMac" PC clone, called the Emachine eOne. It has a built-in monitor, and no physical knobs to adjust the monitor -- screen positioning (i.e. - move the display up,down,left,right), brightness, etc.

Specs: Celeron 433, 192 MB ram, ATI Rage XL video (basically Rage Pro Turbo), Trendnet pcmcia wi-fi card using Realtek RTL8180L chipset.

In Windows, I use the ATI Control Panel to physical move the display up,down,left,right until the full display can be seen... and use a small utility to adjust the 'color profile' to brighten the display.

Maybe a tall order... but does anyone know of a Linux solution?

(2) The installer did not recognize my wi-fi card (listed above). I tried the wi-fi applet, but it did not find any NIC to associate with.

Any help here would also be appreciated, but issue #1 will have to be resolved or else #2 is a moot point.

I apologize in advance if these questions are too newbie.

RJ

Re: (1) Software to reposition the screen, (2) RTL8180 wi-fi support

have you tired this with a newer version of kubuntu? wifi and video drivers (expecuilly ati ) have come quite a long way since 5.10 was released.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
    X