This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a runable program

I know what to look for in windows to run a program that I want to run. But what do I need to look for in konqu? I have down loaded some stuff to the pc but do know how to run them.
    .sgl
    0%
    .inc
    0%

Re: a runable program

There are a few types of file extension that indicate an executable file, .sh for shell scripts, .py for python scripts and .pl for perl scripts spring to mind, but I'm sure there are many more.
    The main thing you'll find different to Windows is that executable binaries don't have an explicit extension, but live in specific directories, bin directories, these may be /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin ~/bin for most, but there are others too (still ending in /bin though).

If you have downlaoded an archive and wish to know which files are executable, you can check in konquerors list view, or do an 'ls' in the directory you extracted the archive to and all the executable files will show up green in the console.

Comment

thanks that points me in the way. Now don't make fun of me here. but were can I find this "list view"? I fell dume with this sorry I just took a lot of school years ago to learn everything in windows, dos, Q-B, Cisso and ext. and I don't have a clue what I am doing here. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by DNS Incorp
        were can I find this "list view"?
        Right click on konquerors view menu, the different view types are in the submenu at the top, then scroll across to permissions, anything with an x in the permissions column is executable. (Note: this includes directories, they must have x to be able to open them)

Comment

-k-. I get that much. Now this is were you start to sream at me. . You are going to have to tell me step by step what to do. I have no clue were even to find the "view menu" Would it be eazer to send you the file and you can say go here and us this one? After I can get the program to run I can go from there. I just need it to run and us it. Thank for all the help

Comment

Just to make a little clarification: in Linux, anything that has been set to be executable is a "runable" file, whether or not it has the recommended filename extensions (.py, .sh, .bin, etc.), whether or not it is in the the proper directories (/usr/bin, etc). Of course, if a file has been set to be executable, but it's really just a plain text file, it won't run.

How to check if a file is an executable file? There are many ways:
            1. If you have set Konqueror to show you file tips when you hover over certain files (in Icon View mode), you will see a patter like (but not exactly like that) this near the bottom or middle: -rwxr-xr-x. the "x" means that it's executable. You will also see this pattern if you do a "ls -l" in Konsole.
            2. Again in Konqueror, you can just right-click on the file, select Properties, and check in the Permissions tab if "executable" is checked.

Info List View in Konqueror is found in the View menu > View Mode.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanks for the tips. That dose seem like a lot of work just to look for a file to run. But I think in time I will pick up on it. Now The program I downloaded dose not have a file I can run. (That I know of). I went threw every file to see if I could run it or not and all I got was (-rw-rw-rw) files. I can't think of anyone who would write a program that dose nothing. . So what am I doing wrong here?I must not be doing somthing right becuse you goroos would have it working by now. Now there is somethings that will open but it sends me to a program called "Kate" What is this "Kate" is this a word pad? or is this what I should be using to get it to go? If any one wants a crack at the softwear I have please ask me to send it to you. Becuse I will. Thanks for all the help so fare.

Comment

What kinda file is it? What's the name of it? Where can I download it? Kate is a text editor. If you browse to the directory that file is in using Konsole, what do you get? Is there a file that says configure? Konsole will also display filenames in colors. What colors are you seeing when doing "ls" in the directory that file is in?

Will

Comment

Just like in Windows, you still have to be careful in running just any program that you can find in Linux. Not that it can infect you with viruses or something, but it can potentially mess up your system if you run it as root (administrator privileges). Which means, don't try to install/run anything and everything you see.

Most good programs in Linux should have instructions on how to run or install the program. Now maybe if you could point where you go that program, we could check what needs to be done.
                  Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Ya that is probly best if you guys look at it. The name of the programs I am trying to run is
                    freeside-1.4.2
                    total-isp
                    ispc-cvs-07-21-01-05-37
                    which all can be found at https://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/mem...oftware-survey
                    if some one can get freeddise or any one of these to work for me it is worth somthing to you.

Comment

Freeside is a tarball. It should contain a shell script that you can run to compile it.

Will

Comment

Tarball Don't think I fallow you. I have no clue on what file to use to get it to run. Would you know? thanks once more.

Comment

Working...
                        X