• Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, you need sudo.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      yes, you need sudo.
      I have executed the command.

Quite a long process, I received a few warnings, some regarding kernel headers not being found, and some others. I could not note them because at the time the screen was scrolling.

At one stage, the pc switched itself off, but a press on the on/off switch restored the process.

I suppose that the best way to check that programmes have been removed is to type the command again and it should print on the screen a message to the effect that no programmes need to be removed?

Best wishes.

Ps. It looks the autoremove programme checks a database and presumably removes duplicated files leaving the latest, by date.
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

autoreomove uninstalls packages that depend/were used only by something that was uninstalled, and older kernels and such. In relation to your OP, there are (or were rather) a large number of old kernels, as well as kernel-headers and extras for each one. By default, the system keeps your current kernel, and the previous one, marking the rest as safe for auto-removal to help clear up unused space if desired.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          autoreomove uninstalls packages that depend/were used only by something that was uninstalled, and older kernels and such. In relation to your OP, there are (or were rather) a large number of old kernels, as well as kernel-headers and extras for each one. By default, the system keeps your current kernel, and the previous one, marking the rest as safe for auto-removal to help clear up unused space if desired.

Thank you.

I usually use Muon to download and install updates.

I wonder if it would be better to use the command line when I am notified of a new update because not only would it update my OS, but it would also check for programmes that can be removed.

Happy New Year.

Best wishes.

Comment

I always use the CLI to do my updates ,,,,,,,,,,,But Muon package Manager will do the "by status" filtering ,,,and includes "auto removable"

PS: when you do use the "apt-get autoremove" you should add the --purge option as well or you will be left with residual configuration files laying around hear and their

Code:
            sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
            and again Muon will sort by status>residual configuration as well

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              I always use the CLI to do my updates ,,,,,,,,,,,But Muon package Manager will do the "by status" filtering ,,,and includes "auto removable"

PS: when you do use the "apt-get autoremove" you should add the --purge option as well or you will be left with residual configuration files laying around hear and their

Code:
              sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
              and again Muon will sort by status>residual configuration as well

VINNY
              Until recently, I always used Muon for updating files.

Yet when I used the CLI for updating, for the first time, I noted over 100 files that needed to be removed.

Bearing in mind what you have said above, this now surprises me.

If Muon effectively does the same as the CLI, then why use the CLI ?

Best wishes

PS. Regarding sudo apt-get autoremove --purge, am I right in thinking that the option --purge could go before the command autoremove?

PPS. Out of interest, I have looked at the sources list (/etc/apt/sources.list) and expected to see a long list of software installed on my system. But I saw a short information file!
              Last edited by anonprivate; Jan 09, 2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

If Muon effectively does the same as the CLI, then why use the CLI ?
                It's rather the other way around. The gui is actually using the command line, which is more powerful and reliable. You get to choose what is best for you.

PPS. Out of interest, I have looked at the sources list (/etc/apt/sources.list) and expected to see a long list of software installed on my system. But I saw a short information file!
                The sources.list file (as well as the files that may be present in the adjoining /sources.list.d directory show what specific sources stuff comes from. It won't show you what you have installed.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 10, 2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

A couple useful ways to list your installed packages are:

Code:
                  sudo apt list --installed
                  and

Code:
                  dpkg -l |grep ii
                  To list everything installed AND removed

Code:
                  dpkg -l

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                    PS. Regarding sudo apt-get autoremove --purge, am I right in thinking that the option --purge could go before the command autoremove?
                    Yes

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    A couple useful ways to list your installed packages are:
                    Code:
                    dpkg -l |grep ii
                    I'm nitpicking, but using 'dpkg -l | grep "^ii"' instead would remove any possible (if unlikely) ambiguity from the output by only matching lines that start with "ii" rather than lines that contain "ii"

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    To list everything installed AND removed
                    Code:
                    dpkg -l
                    Technically it lists packages installed and packages that have been removed but whose conffiles files haven't been purged "rc" (not all removed packages, which include purged packages and removed packages that have no conffiles)...And yes, I know I'm splitting already split hairs

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      I'm nitpicking, but using 'dpkg -l | grep "^ii"' instead would remove any possible (if unlikely) ambiguity from the output by only matching lines that start with "ii" rather than lines that contain "ii"
                      True, but yes - nitpicking... Actually, according to apt on my system, there are 86 available packages that contain "ii" so you would be correct.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      Technically it lists packages installed and packages that have been removed but whose conffiles files haven't been purged "rc" (not all removed packages, which include purged packages and removed packages that have no conffiles)...And yes, I know I'm splitting already split hairs
                      That, I wasn't aware of, good to know.

EDIT: I meant the purged package part, I already knew you were splitting hairs, ROFL...

Please Read Me

Comment

Because I have never been hurt by a Kubuntu distribution for more than 15 years, I don't bother with the small stuff. I am reminded of the 20 page legal contract you must read, or sign without reading, in every Windows or Windows compatible distribution or product, if you want what they offer, and still people are hurt.

Does anyone ever read a Windows legal agreement? If you want what they provide, you have to agree to their self-protecting requirements or you can't use them. That doesn't mean I want Linux developers to be lazy about such things, but get real, how many times have you been hurt by accepting what is offered from a Linux application? And, you don't have to read or worry if you understand the minefield included in a Microsoft contract. TMHO

Comment

Working...
                        X