This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on IBM T20

I am new to linux and kubuntu, I have so far been able to resolve most problems I have had but still have a couple of questions.

1. I have been trying to get the 3rd mouse button to work as a scroll button as it would do in xp together with enabling a graphical representation when I adjust the volume or screen brightness when using the laptop keys for this function. I think I need to enable the appropriate screen within the laptop settings but do not know how to proceed. I have tried to follow the instructions on this site http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta= but have had no success. I cannot locate the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions which is referred to in the section "Thinkpad Buttons"

2. I have had problems when upgrading all of the packages marked upgradeable in adept. After the upgrade the machine will not boot, it locks up just before loading the desktop login screen showing only a black screen with a statis underscore at the top left of the screen. What is causng this? I would like to keep my system as up to date as possible but currently am afraid to do so as I have to reinstall after updating.

3. I know that linux is supposed to be vastly more secure than xp but should I still be running a software firewall and anti virus? If so what is recomended? I am sitting behind a hardwire firewall incorporated into my wireless router.

Thanks very much.

Re: Kubuntu on IBM T20

I don't know if this is any help, but under KMenu>System Settings>Laptops&Power there is an IBM Thinkpad section...I can't do anything with it since I don't have a thinkpad. Sorry.

If you're using a hardware firewall with the most recent firmware, you porbably don't need a software firewall or AV, from all that I've read about. As a former windows user, I became ridiculously security concious, and I sometimes get confused about the sheer lack of virii and general malware around on linux. Nice tho

Comment

Thanks for the info on the firewall, av etc.

With regard to the IBM laptop piece, the section is also greyed out on my machine and I do not understand the instructions given to enable the options. Have googled etc but can't find any straightforward instructions to enable support for the extra buttons on and ibm laptop.

Comment

Have you tried Thinkwiki? They have quite a bit of information about Thinkpad keys. Here's the url: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Comment

Originally posted by johnc
          Thanks for the info on the firewall, av etc.

With regard to the IBM laptop piece, the section is also greyed out on my machine and I do not understand the instructions given to enable the options. Have googled etc but can't find any straightforward instructions to enable support for the extra buttons on and ibm laptop.
          'sudo modprobe nvram' inserts the module needed to use the buttons, but to be honest they should work without it.

The T20 bios is quite old (even the latest one) and if you want it to goto sleep (fn+F4) you need to disable ACPI, and use only the APM kernel modules, try booting with noacpi and noapic as kernel options.

If you want to use the s-video output there is a program called s3switch, I don't know if it's in any of the repos, but it's only small to compile yourself.

Also you may want to look into prelink for kde on a machine as slow as a T20, it speeds things up nicely.

LIRC work fine with the inbuilt IRDA port and the lirc_sir module, but takes some poking around to switch the port on.

Comment

Working...
          X