This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware questions

I could use some help in making hardware decisions. On the one hand, I have an 8 core mac pro (3,1) from 2008 with 16GB of ram, 4 internal hard drives, a pci SSD, etc, and it seems like both it and most of my peripherals have drivers available, and it's capable of running linux. On the other, I have no experience running linux. I can follow directions on a command line, but that's about all. So maybe I should just buy a new box, and try to put as much of the old hardware into it. But I literally don't know where to start, and know zip about PC hardware. I'd want a ton of memory, and to run Blackmagic's Fusion compositing software. What's the price range of a new box? Any help or links most appreciated.

I can see no reason to spend money on a new PC. Here's a helpful page to get you started> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacPro

It talks about Ubuntu but you would follow the same steps for Kubuntu

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by dcnblues View Post
      I'd want a ton of memory, and to run Blackmagic's Fusion compositing software.
      do they make a version of that software for linux?
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

This blackmagic fusion does have a linux version.
        I would maybe give that mac box a go, linux is less memory intensive in contrast and that 16GB might do good.
        I have no experience with this software so it may not be worth it.
        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
          do they make a version of that software for linux?
          Sorry, I should have said Blackmagic Fusion 'Studio' (the one you have to pay for). Fusion 7 has free windows distribution, and Fusion 8 has a free beta version for windows and mac. They will also offer a $1000 Studio version, which will have a Linux download (upcoming). https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            I can see no reason to spend money on a new PC...
            This is one of those situations where I'm flooded with "I was hoping you'd say that." Thanks very much for useful info.

There is one reason, however, but I'm not sure where to find answers: for video post production many software programs use the processing power of the graphics card to help rendering. As my graphics card is mac only (NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 dual ports), I think that's a limitation that a newer box with a new graphics card compatible with rendering software might be better.

I have multiple drives on my pro and hopefully I can install rEFInd and take my time experimenting and working my way into Linux slowly.

*This only just occurred to me, but with all the emulation software flavors / capabilities out there, is it possible to run mac software on Linux? I'm thinking specifically of the video editor Final Cut Pro X...

Comment

Working...
            X