This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing resolution and keeping it changed

When I installed Kubuntu DD (AMD64) I was surprised not to be asked about screen resolution. I was given one that's very impressive but almost requires me to use a magnifying glass.

I change the resolution -- "System settings|Hardware|Display". (Or similar; my system's in Japanese so I'm translating back. However, the next part is in English I slide the resolution control leftwards. I have two options: "Reset" (which obviously means "reset to what it was before") and "Apply". (There's no additional "Apply and save" that I can see.) The system seems to reload its windowing system and after that I have the reduced resolution that I want. Fine.

However, after shutting down and rebooting, I'm back to the previous, high resolution. How can I make my own choice of resolution "stick"?

Re: Changing resolution and keeping it changed

By default (k)ubuntu uses the highest resolution available in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (often this is too big and/or has a poor refresh rate :P)

One way to 'force' a lower resolution is to edit the xorg.conf:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    2. Find Section "Screen",
        below it is a list of available resolutions for each color depth

3. Delete the resolutions that are higher than your desired resolution (at least on your default color depth)

4. Save and restart X

Note: kate should save an automatic backup of your original xorg.conf as xorg.conf~ (You can also make a backup yourself)...so in case you make an error and X won't start, you can revert to your old xorg.conf with
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf~ /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    from the CLI

(Another method of choosing available resolutions is to reconfigure X and choose only the resolutions you want, but manual editing is quicker
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    )

Comment

Re: Changing resolution and keeping it changed

How strange, this assumption that the greatest possible resolution is the one that everybody's sure to want. (Or is Canonical -- or Trolltech, or somebody [nervous smiley] -- in cahoots with the makers of ginormous monitors?) Oh well, it is mildly pleasing to think that for once I didn't stupidly overlook something. I'll edit the file. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X