This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos Don't Appear in eBay Using Forefox

Some do, some don't. What does appear is the title of the listed item. The photo appears in the listings. When the particular listing is selected, the photo does not appear. If I hover the cursor over the title within the photo box, the following appears in the lower left corner of the browser: [javascript:;] without the brackets.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

You sure you don't have some script-preventing protection on, as a Firefox add-on installed. (The most popular one is NoScript. If so, you must "allow" that site; maybe even "allow all this page." Left-click on the NoScript icon, and select allow's from drop-down list.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

No, I have none of those. I disabled Adblock Plus and that didn't work. Figured as such.
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Probably not a Linux deal. Launched Windows and the same pic says "Image Not Available". Sure wouldn't want to be a seller on there. Thanks buddy.
        HP15 -

Comment

So you want to enable JavaScript in Firefox.
          http://enable-javascript.com/
          then:
          http://enable-javascript.com/#firefox

Maybe that will work?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

1. In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter.
            2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise" if a warning message appears.
            3. In the search box, search for javascript.enabled
            4. Toggle the "javascript.enabled" preference (right-click and select "Toggle" or double-click the preference) to change the value from "false" to "true".
            5. Click on the "Reload current page" button of the web browser to refresh the page.
            After you do Step 4 (Toggle to True), close that window (the about:config window), go back to the problem web page you are trying to see, and then do Step 5: Refresh the page (so the new setting takes effect).

Comment

I tried that. I had already checked the about:config (which is very handy). No go. Not an uncommon problem with eBay. Seems to happen with my areas of high interest. Here's the pic link which won't appear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KLF...h-xnWg&vxp=mtr
              HP15 -

Comment

For the record (for other folks).

Using Firefox in Kubuntu 14.04, the photo does not appear and is replaced by the posted item title.

Using both Chrome and Edge in Windows 10, the photo does not appear and is replaced by "image not available".

The large thumbnail photos in an eBay item search list do appear in both OSs and the mentioned browsers.
                HP15 -

Comment

I have Firefox 41.0.2. I also have NoScript installed.

My stuff: I've done a lot of shopping/browsing at eBay with no problems (to date).

Your stuff:
                  Again, with my Firefox 41.0.2/with NoScript disabled:
                  I am getting the same bad result you are getting on this:
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KLF...h-xnWg&vxp=mtr
                  i.e., the photo is replace by the string:
                  KAWASAKI-KLF220-BAYOU-88-02-CARBURETOR-REBUILD-KIT-CARB-REPAIR
                  I get this result even if I disable NoScript: no photo appears. Very strange, it's unusual for me.

I would definitely contact the seller (easy and fair to do, as you probably know, there's a link to click somewhere), and inform him/her about this. I think they would want to know.

Comment

I missed your reply this morning. Thank you and I'll notify him.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Glad I'm not a commercial seller on eBay. Here's his response: Thanks for the heads up. Its a eBay issue. We are trying to resolve it, but it appears some of our photos are being blocked because they do not meet their new standards. Even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with the photos and they have been working fine for several years they are taking them down. Makes a lot of sense. Make it harder for us to make them money. Now we have to go back and try to revise hundreds if not a thousand photos that we have already spent countless man hours setting up in the first place all for the sake of making them a few pixels larger.
                      HP15 -

Comment

Boy, that's not a good deal for the existing sellers. But that explains things. Not very likely that neither of us would be able to properly see an eBay web page.

Comment

Working...
                        X