Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week old 1x.04 installs work, this week's updates cause boot failure.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week old 1x.04 installs work, this week's updates cause boot failure.

I installed 15.04 a little over a week ago using non-free and download updates and it was totally trouble free. After playing around a bit I decided to separate /home on a different partition so I did a re-install, re-partioned, etc. Once it rebooted I got the grub menu, selected ubuntu, saw a message about starting version xxxx, the screen went dark, the wireless LED turned white, then the screen went black (like in turned off rather than the lighter cleared to black). That was it. Let is sit for 15 minutes. I tried re-installing several times with the same result.

Then I wiped grub using a win7 repair and tried again and kubuntu installed and booted flawlessly. Just to see I did yet another install and it was back to the black screen.

I wiped grub, re-installed, turned off update while installing and kubuntu works flawlessly. I think I neglected to check updaites in the previous successful install as well so I'm thinking a recent update is the problem.

I had the same issue on a different laptop so I switched to 14.04 and it works fine until I update then it has the same behaviour.

So both 15.04 and 14.04 work fine from a week or so old DVD even with updates from around a week ago and neither work after updates available today.

I have no idea how to check what's failing as there is no console or status messages during boot. I was thinking it was grub but I see nothing in the updates list about grub yet I do see new kernel packages so perhaps its the new kernel?

If someone can tell me how to get diagnosis information I'll try again to nail down the source.

You might want to restart the computer and look for a repair option for your Kubuntu operating system. There will be several options to attempt repair. Do each that you are able and restart again. Perhaps this will correct what is happening. I do not recognize the problem, but you did not mention attempting to use the Kubuntu repair features. Additionally, if you can get to a terminal, you might try "sudo dpkg --configure -a" without the quotes, that should repair any broken packages if there are any. You are probably familiar with the package repair command, but if not try it.

If you are not familiar, and once you press the enter key on the command, if it immediately returns to your command prompt, it means that there are no broken packages. That means it fixed any broken packages or there are none to fix. Don't be surprised if this only takes a second or so, that is normal.

Someone with more skill will probably step in if my advice isn't best, but what I have suggested should not harm your system or create new problems.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Oct 18, 2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X