This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Software Updates Automatic?

I've been downloading things lately like VLC media player, Ubuntu Software Center, etc. I have download through Muon and Terminal. If updates are not essential to the operating system and become available, will I receive notification, am I required to check manually, other? Thanks.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Checking for updates is automatic, by default. Everything you already have, or install from a package manager (including apt and muon) that has an update will be included. You can configure update behavior this from the Configure Software Sources section in Muon

Comment

Until more technical help arrives ... my understanding is that if you installed something that came from your sources list, /etc/apt/sources.list, (which is a list of the software repositories--inventories--holding all the software programs available to your computer), you will automatically be notified (through Muon, or the pop-up Application Update Notifier) of updates available. This should apply to the programs you've installed through Muon (EDIT: or apt). If you had to add a new source (for software), like a PPA, that PPA should also be added to your sources.list, and so it should also receive updates through Muon. In Muon, you can indicate what your software sources are to be: Settings (tab at top) > Configure Software Sources. You can also edit (as root) the file /etc/apt/sources.list. I think sometimes people get into trouble if they "compile their software from source," (from scratch, manually building it, putting it together), then you may have to check on your own if updates have been released.

Many articles about installing Linux software, an overview:
      http://www.howtogeek.com/191245/begi...Speed=noscript
      Last edited by Qqmike; Oct 18, 2015, 05:41 AM.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

cross-posted with claydoh ...
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Automatic updates were off on mine. I had to manually turn them on using software sources.
          If you're sitting wondering,
          Which Batman is the best,
          There's only one true answer my friend,
          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Looks like my preferred update settings are good to go in Muon. Ok, sounds good. Thanks guy.
            Last edited by logan01; Oct 18, 2015, 10:41 AM.
            Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
            HP15 -
            -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
            X