This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Package Manager Not Working?

Tried to install 2 programs yesterday and one just now. It seems to just sit there and do nothing. I have downloaded items before with it and they downloaded very quickly. In this case I click Mark for Installation, select a version if more than one exists, click install; nothing happens. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

In each case Muon also says (yes, it speaks to me) pkgs xyz, etc must be removed. Figuring Muon knows best, I ok the removal though I don't get the install. Hope I haven't been removing necessary items.
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Are you sure? What did you install? did it prompt you for your password? What do you mean by "nothing happens"? has there been a change in how it has been working? If the removal of things took place, then it is safe to assume that the installation part did, too.

It will help to be much more specific on what you are doing and what is taking place (or not)

My initial thinking is that whatever you have installed is very tiny, such as a command line program or system library, and that the download potion and then the install part goes by so fast that it barely blips in the window.

the package manager is fairly smart, but it also assumes that you know exactly what you are doing as well. It assumes that yes, you really want to install something, then tells you what it will remove if you install it. But it has zero clue as to what is safe or not. You need to investigate yourself as to what is safe to remove or not. The removal of packages when installing a new one is always a concern and should be checked out before proceeding.

Comment

But if the download did take place, he would see the (Muon GUI) window open where it leaves just one option to quit at the bottom right: Quit. So you would know that it took place OK.

Maybe the downloads from the sources are slow. Someone else complained of this the other day.

So, could you try the command line, just to see what informative messages you might get:

sudo apt-get install <the_package_name_you_want>
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I said:
          But if the download did take place, he would see the (Muon GUI) window open where it leaves just one option to quit at the bottom right: Quit. So you would know that it took place OK.
          That's not true. I'm thinking of something else. BUT, after clicking Install/Apply, if it installed, you would be returned to the Muon window showing all packages listed, then you could check the package you thought you just installed, and it should then say "installed." That way you would know if, in fact, it got installed.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            I said:

That's not true. I'm thinking of something else. BUT, after clicking Install/Apply, if it installed, you would be returned to the Muon window showing all packages listed, then you could check the package you thought you just installed, and it should then say "installed." That way you would know if, in fact, it got installed.
            +1

Comment

I was wrong about removing items. It will say "this action requires changes" and it will list several items which require the change. It still ain't doing anything. Ok, I installed via Terminal and it worked. Tested it with a video. Wonder what the deal is with Muon. That was me yesterday where another member advised the hookup between Muon and Adobe might be slow.
              HP15 -

Comment

Muon will show what has been installed/removed/upgraded, etc if you choose View, History then choose a date.

Are you clicking on the "Apply Changes" button at the top to tell Muon to do what you've selected, otherwise nothing will happen.

Are you getting the prompt for your password when you're installing something? I wonder if the prompt is popping under the Muon window and you're not seeing it?
                Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  Muon will show what has been installed/removed/upgraded, etc if you choose View, History then choose a date.

Are you clicking on the "Apply Changes" button at the top to tell Muon to do what you've selected, otherwise nothing will happen.

Are you getting the prompt for your password when you're installing something? I wonder if the prompt is popping under the Muon window and you're not seeing it?
                  Thank you. That was it. The blanking "Apply Changes" button. I had thought about hitting that a few times but figured it'd be pointless. Reckon not. Thanks again and thanks guys.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Sometimes it's the most obvious things that catch us out. Glad you got it sorted.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

and some things, like helping posts are subtle, like mine, #5 ...
                      ... BUT, after clicking Install/Apply, ...

Good thing now is that you probably won't ever forget it, right?
                      I have forgotten to click Apply many times, sitting there with nothing going, nothing happening, then duh, Apply it is! GParted (GUI partitioning) is like this, too.
                      Last edited by Qqmike; Oct 18, 2015, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        and some things, like helping posts are subtle, like mine, #5 ...

Good thing now is that you probably won't ever forget it, right?
                        I have forgotten to click Apply many times, sitting there with nothing going, nothing happening, then duh, Apply it is! GParted (GUI partitioning) is like this, too.
                        It is permanently etched in my mind!
                        HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                        X