Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Plugin is Needed to Display This Content?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Plugin is Needed to Display This Content?

Using Firefox in Kubuntu 14.04, I get this message ( A Plugin is Needed to Display This Content) frequently when attempting to view a video (mostly how to videos) and a few images at time. The videos are normally not Youtube videos. However, the "warning" window link will be dead. They display / launch fine in the Windows side of my laptop. I prefer to use my Kubuntu. I ran across this (the 64-bit instructions) and am hoping someone can advise that it'll solve my issue or if there is an alternative solution. Firefox is version 41.0.1 for Ubuntu. (canonical - 1.0) Thanks.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...ntu-14-04-lts/

PS: Having just read the repliesin the included link, I'm like, "what the heck?" For us non - techies, is it really that big a deal to download and install a plugin? If so, I'll likely need your help once more.

As Always,
    Thanks
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Hi loagan01. I'm not your guy here, wait for the real vid player guys. Just to say that I have the standard Firefox 41.0.1 in 14.04, with whatever standard adobe flash whatever, and it all just works. I have NoScript installed in Firefox, and I do notice a lot having to "Allow" the site, even allow all the site, sometimes, to get those vids to play when I see that warning you mentioned. Of course, they will probably tell you to try chromium-browser. But FX should work, if you can get this solved.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

All the vast majority of people need to do is install the flashplugin-installer package. Many enable this during the OS installation process (it is one of the third party addons that can be selected at the very beginning). It is also one of the things installed when the system tray popup for "extra packages can be installed" comes up on new installs. Installing it from Software Center is all you should need to do to install it after the fact. Some random websites on the internet offers extra steps, with the good intention of being overly complete, but often don't specify that the extra stuff is secondary, and maybe should not be the first thing to try.

The link you gave, though correct, tells the user to update via the command line, then has them go to a graphical package manager, when these two parts can be done in the gui. This would take a single sentence to describe, about one line perhaps.

They then go into the advanced extra steps for those few that need such a thing, and that takes up most of the space on the page.

So basically, what could be done via a twitter-length number of characters is expanded to a full web page. Basically, many of us in Linux land like to have alternative ways of skinning the cat

Adobe controls this crappy product and is eventually killing it off; most of the web has moved away from using it, such as Youtube. Hopefully the rest move away from it quickly.
      Last edited by claydoh; Oct 14, 2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

In Muon Package Manager I clicked "install" for the plugin but nothing is happening. I think my Muon is dead. I just found and tried to install Ubuntu Software Center and it too does noting.
        Last edited by logan01; Oct 14, 2015, 06:26 PM.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

it probably is downloading the flash stuff from adobe - that is what the package does. Probably just a slow/congested connection to them.

If for some reason it does not finish (it should produce an error if it does), try again later, or try from the teminal:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-installer
          You will be able to tell from the output there if it is having trouble connecting to Adobe.

Comment

Oh ok. Thanks.
            HP15 -

Comment

I downloaded through the Terminal and I'll be darned if it didn't work on the video I was wanting to see. Thanks a bunch guys. You're the best. On a lighter note, a member here is having an issue or two installing Kubuntu / Windows 10 side by side as the way ya'll helped me through the process. I felt his pain and linked him to my 40 + page "tutorial" here in the forum. Hoping he is much smarter than me and quickly burns through the pages and reaches his goal. Thanks again guys.
              HP15 -

Comment

Well, sorry, I forgot or didn't think to mention the actual "standard" package, flashplugin-installer, thinking you had it but it wasn't doing the trick. Doesn't matter now -- Claydoh had both of us covered! Glad you got it.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Not a problem. He did indeed cover us nicely. I will forever appreciate everything you do. I can't find the dang Solved button!
                  HP15 -

Comment

Near your Post #1, on the right side, Thread Tools, click the drop-down menu of choices and it is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      Near your Post #1, on the right side, Thread Tools, click the drop-down menu of choices and it is there.
                      That's what I thought. The Solved option is no longer included in the drop down.
                      HP15 -

Comment

Hmm, I just looked at one of the threads I started but did not mark as solved, and the option is there under Thread Tools. Are you logged in when you check for this? Puzzling.

Comment

Yep. I didn't reboot when I downloaded the plugin. I did reboot Firefox. I have had several OS downloads / installs lately. Gonna do a reboot now, My restart doesn't work in windows or kubuntu.
                          HP15 -

Comment

Nope. It has four other options but no longer Solved. It has show printable / email / subscribe / add a poll.
                            HP15 -

Comment

Gonna boot to windows and see if it has it there.
                              HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                              X