Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Pro install on Virtualbox failure.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 Pro install on Virtualbox failure.

Now I have a 64 bit win 10/kubuntu dual boot system.

On another 32 bit machine I downloaded the win 10 iso from microsoft web site but that fails to install although it does boot.

It fails when I enter the sticker number which is on a spare bought copy of win 7 pro.

If I skip the number it continues but says it can't find a hard disk and offers to load a driver which it also cannot find so there ends the install.

In the setup of VB I made a 25gb drive so am surprised it cannot find it. maybe I need to do more settings?

Or, maybe it is because as this machine is 64 bit, the VB is also 64 bit and needs a 64 bit win 10.

Edit. When I check the VB settings I see that the disk I initially setup does not show. Only an optical hard disk is present. So I am making another hard disk.

Edit2. Win 10 is now installing but still failing on the sticker number. Why would that be?

Does it mean i should download a 64 bit iso?
    Last edited by makem; Oct 12, 2015, 12:56 PM.

Dunno, it's more of a windows 10 or virtualbox problem, so you might want to check out Virtualbox's forums for help as well.

A few months ago I did install windows 10 in virtalbox witrh zero problem, didn't even have to enter the code, since I was not planning on using it more than long enough to root my phone

you cannot use a windows 7 code on a win 10 install, would be my guess? No clue on that one.

I am sure there are folks in here running Win 10, either natively or in a VM, so hopefully they can chime in.

Comment

They just turned on the option to use win7 / 8 keys for activating win10... you may have been ahead of the change.
      Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by otisklt View Post
        They just turned on the option to use win7 / 8 keys for activating win10... you may have been ahead of the change.
        I don't have a key. The OS was pre-installed.

Comment

Working...
        X