Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[RESOLVED]: It's Installed But I Can't Find It!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello - I'm pretty confused. I see that KMAIL is installed, but I can't find it. It is not part of any of my menus. How do I invoke an app - get it on my panel - if I can't get to it?

I understand paths, directories, etc....this is a menu interface issue with my understanding. I have deinstalled it and reinstalled it and still have no clue on how to get it on my panel.

Any help is greatly appreciated - Thanks.

Re: It's Installed But I Can't Find It!!!

Hi Alex

There are numerous ways to update your Kmenu, but I have had the best results with the following command in Konsole:-

kbuildsycoca --noincremental

Have no idea what it means, but it does the trick..

Hope you find this useful

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Err... lowey23, KMail is already installed by default in Kubuntu...

The reason KMail doesn't have a separate entry in the K Menu is because it's a component of Kontact (Personal Information Manager). When you launch Kontact, KMail is launched with it, along with KOrganizer, KAddressBook and Akregator.

You can still launch KMail separately by pressing Alt+F2, and typing in "kmail" (without the quotes). You can also add a K Menu entry by right-clicking on the K Menu and selecting "Edit Menu".

The instructions that lowey23 gave are very useful when you install something and it doesn't show up in K Menu.
      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Give me a break, Jucato. It's Father's Day and I'm celebrating and not reading things properly.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Lowey
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Rawr! Father's Day in your place? Sorry to have ruined the day. Happy Father's Day, then!
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Thanks for that, Jucato. Having a great day.
            Now, back to alex's problem. Listen to Jucato, Alex, not me.

Have a good one

Lowey

Comment

Thank you both. I found KMAIL indeed under Kontact. It will not suffice though, for my original problem started with a botched install of Thunderbird, and I might open a thread on that - still experimenting. But now I know more - Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X