This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot Windows 10 and Kubuntu?

Hi, I'm new here. I have tried to search for a tutorial on how to dual boot Windows 10 and Kubuntu, but its mostly Ubuntu tutorials. I know that its mostly the same process, but my disc doesn't seem to work. Please help, because I have recently gotten interested in Linux, but I don't want to delete Windows 10.

how did you make your disk ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      how did you make your disk ?

VINNY
      Huh? I'm sorry if sounds dumb, I'm new to this. I bought my disc, a Philips CD-R.

Comment

Originally posted by Flareblood View Post
        Huh? I'm sorry if sounds dumb, I'm new to this. I bought my disc, a Philips CD-R.
        when you said "but my disc doesn't seem to work" I was assuming you had made an install disk ,,,,and it was not working ,,,,,,,so I asked how did you make it / burn it .

an installation .iso has to be burned as am image ,,,,,not just coped to the disk ,,,,,,,,,,,or placed on a usb stick in a boot-able manner

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Ah, okay. Still new and confused, but here is a screenshot of what happens when I try to burn the iso to the disc, even with the disc in:

Comment

A couple of notes:
            As a new user, it may be better to try Kubuntu 14.04, as 15.04 has a new, and still rough-around-the edges version of KDE
            You will need a dvd disk to burn the iso, as a cd-r is not large enough. I wonder if this is why the Windows iso burner doesn't see a disk in the drive?
            You can use a usb flash drive instead of a dvd

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...e_from_Windows

Comment

you said you have CD-R disks ,,,,,,,the .ISO you have needs a DVD the file size is to large for a CD

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

And if it's a newer machine, say > 2011, and it probably is if it came w/Windows 10 pre-installed, you will want to select the correct version to download: Kubuntu 64-bit (not the 32-bit).
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

+1 for trying 14.04.3 instead of 15.04.

You can use Unetbootin program to "burn" kubuntu iso to usb flash drive.
                  Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Though lengthy, you are likely much more computer savvy than I, therefore, you can probably breeze through this. I too have Windows 10 and have since added Kubuntu 14.04, thanks to the good folks here. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Kubuntu-Please
                    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
                    HP15 -
                    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
                    X