This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having update issues

Hi, I'm new to Kubuntu and linux in general, however I love it so far. I have it installed on my acer aspire laptop as the only OS and on my desktop as a secondary operating system. I love it and I'm really getting used to it. However I have had some trouble with muon update manager. On the initial update of the system it failed. However on my desktop it worked just fine and fully updated. I keep getting an error message saying lvm2 wouldn't update correctly.

/var/cache/apt/archives/lvm2_2.02.111-2.2_amd64.deb

trying to overwrite '/etc/init.d/lvm2', which is also in package udev 219-7ubuntu6

This is preventing the rest of my updates from finishing. I have updated individually many of them but many are dependant of the lvm2 update and won't finish either. I even tried to update via the terminal and with no success. My laptop is an acer aspire 7551. I have Kubuntu 15.04 installed. I read the instructions for posting to this forum and it told me to run this command: cat /etc/lsb-release | grep DISTRIB_RELEASE=. That said I'm running Kubuntu 2.0.... Weird.. don't know if it's relevant either. On a side not, after I did some of my updates manually, I restarted and upon restart my loading screen changed from normal to an older looking Kubuntu 2.0 with 4 colored dots underneath. I enter my encryption pass and when the laptop fully boots up everything is back to normal. This isn't affecting my everyday computing. But I know I need to get this taken care of eventually.
    Last edited by Guest; Oct 06, 2015, 05:53 PM. Reason: added details

There is a packaging error in one of the Ubuntu packages, and is pretty easy to fix, from the command line.
    I can't find any bug reports of others having this problem, though. It still should be safe to fix,. though.

Using the info you gave, we will 'force' it to over-write the file after we back it up just in case

Open a konsole window and enter these commands

sudo cp /etc/init.d/lvm2 /etc/init.d/lvm2-backup <-- this makes a copy of the offending file
    sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/lvm2_2.02.111-2.2_amd64.deb
    <-- this forces the install of the package to replace the file.

Now, you should be able to update your system.
    You can also look at the file /etc/init.d/lvm2 /etc/init.d/lvm2 and /etc/init.d/lvm2-backup with the text editor to see if there are any differences, which I doubt, but could be wrong. We can always restore the original if necessary.

Comment

Thank you so much. That helped tremendously. I did have 1 other broken package similar to that but using the same syntax I was able to solve the problem. I don't know if my laptop still says I'm using Kubuntu 2.0 but that didn't matter to me as long as everything was working properly. Thanks again. I'll remember this lesson in the future.

QUOTE=claydoh;380255]There is a packaging error in one of the Ubuntu packages, and is pretty easy to fix, from the command line.
      I can't find any bug reports of others having this problem, though. It still should be safe to fix,. though.

Using the info you gave, we will 'force' it to over-write the file after we back it up just in case

Open a konsole window and enter these commands

sudo cp /etc/init.d/lvm2 /etc/init.d/lvm2-backup <-- this makes a copy of the offending file
      sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/lvm2_2.02.111-2.2_amd64.deb
      <-- this forces the install of the package to replace the file.

Now, you should be able to update your system.
      You can also look at the file /etc/init.d/lvm2 /etc/init.d/lvm2 and /etc/init.d/lvm2-backup with the text editor to see if there are any differences, which I doubt, but could be wrong. We can always restore the original if necessary.[/QUOTE]

Comment

cat /etc/lsb-release | grep DISTRIB_RELEASE=. That said I'm running Kubuntu 2.0.... Weird.. don't know if it's relevant either.
        Wierd, it should say "DISTRIB_RELEASE=.15.04" . Probably not relevant, at the moment.

Comment

Working...
        X