This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum UID to be able to login to Plasma Desktop

Hello, i'm looking for a solution to this problem. I need to be able to login to Plasma with a uid of 500. It's possible to do so in Gnome and LightDM etc. but i have not found a way to do the same in Plasma.

Anyone who happen to know where to configure this ?

/Plexor

You can find some rudimentary user management here: System Settings - Personalisation > Account Details

I've never felt the urge to use an unusual UID but a little utility called kuser will give you a lot more options like groups, once upon a time it was part of system settings, now you have to install it first.

Be careful...

Comment

Hello Teunis and thanks for the quick response. The reason why i use a uid < 1000 is that i started long time ago to use that uid for my FreeNAS and alot of other things. It would be alot of work to change it to a uid > 1000. But maybe that is what i should do ;-)

/Plexor

Comment

Yes that's a reason

I'm no expert but think you could make a new user and group called NAS or so with the UID set to 500.
        Next you add yourself to this NAS group.

If I got it the wrong way around someone will hopefully give a correction

Comment

If you really want to do this, you'll going to have to edit /etc/login.defs and possibly other things like PAM as well.

Your life would be a lot easier if you just mounted your freenas to your Linux pc using UID=500,GID=500 and/or added yourself to the 500 group like and set yall your files on the NAS to full group access like Teunis suggests.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X