X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC stops working after 3 or 4 minutes.

Hello,

Basically, do not know what`s happening with my pc .

The computer started freezing up about 6 months ago but then kinda fixed itself until a few days back.

It ( the pc ) just stops working , except the mouse , desktop freezes and as you move the mouse pointer over icons they do respond but do not execute.

Half a minute later everything on the desktop vanishes , keyboard nor mouse work,

No option but to power off via the mains.

I restart but os is not loading . I go into the grub and my os drive is missing but other drives are found.

Another few minutes to rest and boot up - this time computer starts but the same story , PC becomes unresponsive .

Performed a memtest which came up ok, as did the smart test in `disk`.

I have 2 , 2gb of ram , may be taking one out might solve this ? maybe could it be the cpu which is an amd sempron 1.8 ghz from 2006 ?

Thinking it might be the os drive , so bought a Toshiba 2.5 sata , ran it just now and i can`t believe it - drive goes tick,tick,tick...........broken - will swap it for a solid drive .

PS : My os drive is a Kingston ssd at the moment.

Help please.

EDIT : Main data drive not recognized by os.

This pc is going nuts and me with it.
    Last edited by kdeuser; Sep 22, 2015, 01:47 PM.

is your hard drive geting full ? ,,,,how much free space do you have .

is all your ram getting used up and do you have swap space,,,,,,,,,,2GB RAM is kinda light for the new versions ,,,,it's ok ,,,but light and would nead a swap partition.

it could be a drive failing ,,,backup anything you must have NOW with a live system on USB/DVD

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

perhaps your cables knead to be reseted ,,,,,powere off ,,,,,,,,,and unplug and re-plug all the cables.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah, like Vinny said, carefully re-set ALL cables. Failing memory can cause this, but you said you tested it. Heat? CPU heat? Your fans working OK? And failing, faulty, stuttering power supplies can do it. As can failing drives. Boy, that was helpful, wasn't it! I have had all the above at one time or another. I know it's frustrating.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          ... failing, faulty, stuttering power supplies can do it...
          That would be my first suspicion. Especially that bit about waiting a few minutes.

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Dust build up inside impeding the fans?
            If you're sitting wondering,
            Which Batman is the best,
            There's only one true answer my friend,
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Thanks for all the excellent advice here.

Earlier on today went back to the store and exchanged the Toshiba 500 gb 2.5 sata drive for ( believe it ) a 120 gb Kingston ssd. This ssd is exactly the same as the ssd i have at the moment which i believe could be giving up the ghost .

Bottom line , everything seems to be fine , touch wood.

I will be cleaning out the power supply though and buying some new power cables.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X