This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some help with desktop customization

I've recently installed Kubuntu (version 15.04 from the official site) at the recommendation of a friend. So far I'm really like it. I'm coming from the windows world and I must say that I'm really impressed so far, not looking back.

I do however have some questions about setup and was hoping that someone here could help me out. I've not installed anything yet, this is basically stock, except the updates that the system told me needed to be updated.

1) when I save something to my desktop folder, it doesn't show up on my desktop? I'm a bit confused, can this be changed.

2) There's this hamburger menu in the upper left of my screen, when I click and drag it, it says 'Default'. How do I remove this?

3) When I click the 'Windows' key on my keyboard, how do I make it open the launcher?

That's it for now, I may have some more. Thanks for your help!

1- the desktop folder is not the "desktop" by default ,,,,,,,,,if you wish it to be ,,,,,rite click the desktop , click "unlock widgets" , rite click the desktop , click "desktop settings" ,,under "layout" select "folder view" ,,,,,,

2-go to ,,rite click the desktop , click "desktop settings" ,,under "tweaks" uncheck "show the desktop toolbox"

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

3) is somewhat complicated, as the "super" or "meta" key (the Windows key) is used as a modifier key in Qt (and thus in KDE), used in conjunction with other keys. There is a hack for this called ksuperkey.

There are packages for it in a ppa

to add the ppa and install ksuperkey, you'll need to do this in a terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mehanik/ksuperkey
      sudo apt update
      sudo apt install superkey

If it works well, you can add it as an autostart item in System Settings

Long discussion on it over at kde's forums
      Last edited by claydoh; Sep 18, 2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the superkey info, Claydoh!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Awesome! That did the trick!

Thank you all for your help!

Comment

So the desktop widget removal trick (#2) doesn't seem to work. I don't see the tweak settings anywhere.

How do I make them show up or is there another way to remove this?

Thanks

Comment

I've recently installed Kubuntu (version 15.04 from the official site)...

So the desktop widget removal trick (#2) doesn't seem to work. I don't see the tweak settings anywhere.

How do I make them show up or is there another way to remove this?
              Your plasma desktop version ?

Thread: FAQ: Version info - Regenerated

Thread: Hide plasma toolbox [cashew]

Are you using the Kubuntu backports PPA ?

Kubuntu News - http://www.kubuntu.org/news/ -> ​http://www.kubuntu.org/news/plasma-5...-kubuntu-1504/

Try Me !

Comment

So it says that I'm using Plasma 5.9.0 Framework.

As far as backports, I'm not 100% sure what that means, so unless it was setup that way from the installer, my answer is no.

I will try the script provided in the other thread and see how that goes.

Thanks.

Comment

Regarding hiding the Plasma Toolbox desktop icon (formerly known as the "Cashew"), if you slide it into a corner, the title disappears leaving only the three bars - which is somewhat less visually distracting without having to go through the removal process.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Regarding hiding the Plasma Toolbox desktop icon (formerly known as the "Cashew"), if you slide it into a corner, the title disappears leaving only the three bars - which is somewhat less visually distracting without having to go through the removal process.
                    you can drag it down behind the panel as well .

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      ...the "Cashew", if you slide it into a corner, the title disappears leaving only the three bars...
                      Ah... so that's what happened to mine.
                      It took years, but someone listened. Mind you, we (those complaining about the cashew) moaned enough.

Regards, John Little
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 24, 2015, 11:46 AM.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by LinkBot View Post
                        Your plasma desktop version ?

Thread: FAQ: Version info - Regenerated

Thread: Hide plasma toolbox [cashew]

Are you using the Kubuntu backports PPA ?

Kubuntu News - http://www.kubuntu.org/news/ -> ​http://www.kubuntu.org/news/plasma-5...-kubuntu-1504/
                        I tried the backports and now the windows are stuck in the upper left corner, they have no titlebar and I cannot seem to be able to get it back! I can't even tab change windows! What a pain this is!

All I wanted was something so simple as to remove this dumb menu from my desktop screen. I tried to put it 'behind' the app bar at the bottom, but it would just go into this crazy spin, like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be horizontal or vertical. But now this! I can't work like this.

Unless anybody has some last minute things to help, I'm going to have to reinstall I guess. Probably going to try just plain old ubuntu. *sigh* I had such high hope for this and it was great while it lasted.

Thanks for those who tried to help. I hope that one day this get to be a bit more stable and I can revisit it.
                        Last edited by Tecktron; Sep 24, 2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

... no titlebar...
                          That means kwin (KDE's window manager) has died. Happens to me a lot. Usually I can get it back by pressing Alt-F2 and typing kwin_x11 --replace.
                          More generally, Kubuntu 15.04 is a bad release. If you reinstall, consider Kubuntu 14.04, which will be supported till 2019. Several active members here have stuck with it.

Regards, John Little
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                          X