ok well i shall give 15.10 a try

Comment

I'm running it on one of my partitions ,,,,,,,,,it's doing well @hear

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

well if anyone will have problems it WILL be me, iv spent the last 7-8 months trying to get any distro/DE to work properly on my main comp but iv had problem after problem. I shall let you know how it goes and i bet that it wont be long before im saying err why wont it load after installing nvidia drivers or how do i get rid of this screen tearing :-/

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by JackDinn View Post
          well if anyone will have problems it WILL be me, iv spent the last 7-8 months trying to get any distro/DE to work properly on my main comp but iv had problem after problem. I shall let you know how it goes and i bet that it wont be long before im saying err why wont it load after installing nvidia drivers or how do i get rid of this screen tearing :-/

cheers
          install the Nvidia drivers from system settings>drver manager or the comand line with "apt-get" ,,,,,,make sure you have the "dkms" package installed first .

then we can work on the screen tearing

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

well i dont know what this DKMS is, but i found that as long as i create the xorg.conf file before rebooting and set it up to use my cards DVI output it doesn't try and just use the onboard vid output. Also after massive reading i found on kubuntu enabling tripplebuffer works to stop the tearing but that did not work on mink KDE.

But im sure i'll find something new for ya :-/

Comment

well i dont know what this DKMS is, but i found that as long as i create the xorg.conf file before rebooting and set it up to use my cards DVI output it doesn't try and just use the onboard vid output. Also after massive reading i found on kubuntu enabling tripplebuffer works to stop the tearing but that did not work on mink KDE.

But im sure i'll find something new for ya :-/
              get to work then ,,,,,,,,,,we are waiting

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

sorry chaps , watching a film atm but iv built the usb stick live boot. but as soon as me and the mrs have finished watching film (on windows , *spits*) i'll get it straight on it.

Comment

but you could let me know what DKMS package to install, whats its full name "sudo apt-get install dkms?" and what does it do.

cheers.

Comment

but you could let me know what DKMS package to install, whats its full name "sudo apt-get install dkms?" and what does it do.

cheers.
                    one moment

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show dkms
                      Package: dkms
                      Priority: optional
                      Section: admin
                      Installed-Size: 351 kB
                      Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
                      Original-Maintainer: Dynamic Kernel Modules Support Team <pkg-dkms-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
                      Version: 2.2.0.3-1.1ubuntu5.14.04.2
                      Depends: module-init-tools, gcc, make | build-essential | dpkg-dev, coreutils (>= 7.4), patch
                      Recommends: fakeroot, menu | sudo
                      Suggests: dpkg-dev, debhelper
                      Download-Size: 65.4 kB
                      Homepage: http://linux.dell.com/dkms
                      Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
                      Origin: Ubuntu
                      Supported: 5y
                      APT-Manual-Installed: no
                      APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages
                      Description: Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
                       DKMS is a framework designed to allow individual kernel modules to be upgraded
                       without changing the whole kernel. It is also very easy to rebuild modules as
                       you upgrade kernels.

N: There is 1 additional record. Please use the '-a' switch to see it
                      it may be installed already you can see with ,,,,,,

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ dpkg -l dkms
                      Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
                      | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
                      |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
                      ||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
                      +++-======================-================-================-=================================================
                      ii  dkms                   2.2.0.3-1.1ubunt all              Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
                      basicly it makes sure your nvidia module/driver gets built/re-built for a new kernel or update to the current kernel .

or other drivers that may need it ,,,like Virtual box

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

neet thx, so much of this stuff is over my head atm but im desperate to leave windows behind and im nothing if not persistent. I just want to get a nice looking distro (I Like KDE DE) installed and working so i can start looking at how it all works. Not so much luck with that lately though , feels like you need a degree in computer science to use linux or maybe its just my main comp is a bit to new i dunno.

Anyhow thx for you advice its appreciated. :-D

Comment

Basically DKMS leaps into action when you upgrade your kernel. It automatically rebuilds any required modules such as the Nvidia driver.

DAMMIT you gotta be quick here.So much for watching NCIS re-runs and surfing during the commercials!
                          If you're sitting wondering,
                          Which Batman is the best,
                          There's only one true answer my friend,
                          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

More than you really need to know: Dynamic Kernel Module Support

Please Read Me

Comment

feels like you need a degree in computer science to use linux or maybe its just my main comp is a bit to new i dunno.

Anyhow thx for you advice its appreciated. :-D
                              no degree necessary,,,,,,,,,,, I'm an old construction worker ,,,,,,,you just need patience and the time/inclination to research what is not working ,,,google is your friend ,,,,,and a place like this .

once you get it setup correctly linux can be a rock,,,,,,as in stable .

I dont think your computer is to new ,,,,just a lot of changes and quirks in the 2 newest versions 15.04-15.10 ,,,,, 14.04-LTS is the most stable/reliable at the moment ,,,,,with 15.10 being a step up in the 2 15's

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

I agree with Vinny on 15.10. I'm not using it daily yet, but I have it installed to bare metal on my server to test it now and again. Seems quicker than 15.04 and maybe a bit more stable, but it's also on other (newer) hardware than my desktop.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X