This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

becoming a sudo wrestler...

I am simply trying to put some web pages into Apaches www folder but am refused permission. Strange for such a needed folder. So I navigate to the folder in Konsole, type sudo chmod -R 755 * (as it says in another post).
    It asks for the password. Gives me the prompt again - but I am still denied access when i simply try to drag files to the folder!

Any help welcome, please!

Re: becoming a sudo wrestler...

you would need to either grant full write access to everyone (777 instead of 755) or change the ownership of the folder to a user. As giving full write permissions to everyone is obviously not a safe thing to do, you might want to try changing the ownership of the directory to your user:

sudo chown -Rv <your_username_here> /var/www/

You can also change the www folder's location to , say , /home/<your_username>/www in the apache config file

But the safest thing to do is to simply fire up a konqueror window with kdesu and use that to drag and drop files:

'kdesu konqueror'

Comment

Thanks for the help....
      I opened apache2.conf (edit as root) and commented out the line for server root and added the new one>>
      #ServerRoot "/etc/apache2"
      ServerRoot "/home/jon/public_html"

Then typed 'localhost' into Firefox and still get the original home in etc/apache2

I then went halfway down the file to this:>># UserDir is now a module
      #UserDir public_html
      #UserDir disabled root

#<Directory /home/*/public_html>
      # AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
      # Options Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
      #</Directory>

Is this where I should make the changes - I did try this in the module and nothing changed.

Your help appreciated!

Comment

I don't know much about apache, but have you stopped and restarted the server? And also make sure you have created the folder "/home/jon/public_htm"

sudo /etc/init.d/apache restart (or similar) I think stops and restrts the server

Comment

Yes - I rebooted the computer. I'll have to dig up how I set it all up on Windows - at least there it was all in one place! Maybe someone else will chip in....
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
            But the safest thing to do is to simply fire up a konqueror window with kdesu and use that to drag and drop files:

'kdesu konqueror'
            You'd want to change the file(s) owner after doing that to apache:apache

Comment

Working...
            X