This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS

We burn Kubuntu 14.04 LTS iso of 1.02 Gib on a DVD of 4.7 Gib so it stays 3.68 Gib of free space.
    The problem isn't the free space, the problem is : i need to install more extra features to complete my desktop, but to solve this problem i propose to use the free space to add features that enhance Kubuntu, especially for LTS version :
    -add boot repair
    -add KDE applications (Sweeper, Calligra Flow, muon package manager, Krecipes, KMLDonkey), the are interesting too
    -add extra package to enhance the fonctionnality of existing applications[(unrar, p7zip for Ark), (codecs for Amarok), (codecs for K3b),adobe flash player] "
    for me an LTS version also means that i don't need the internet to complete my desktop
    thank you
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 14, 2015, 09:46 AM.

The problem is not a couple of .deb files with the applications you want.
    The problem is that most applications also need a bunch of dependencies to be installed.
    On a computer that's networked the package manager will automatically sort out these dependencies, without a network it becomes difficult but not impossible.

So the best you can do is install the bare bones OS and then use it's package manager to make a list of these dependencies.
    Then download all the stuff you need in .deb format, put it on a disk and start the installation c.q. update.

Oh yes, once upon a time (K)ubuntu had the choice between a CD and DVD, the latter had a lot more applications included.

But as there are as many user scenario's as users it is impossible to cater to all and now you get a CD with a complete OS but only a few basic applications that most people want anyway.
    Last edited by Teunis; Sep 14, 2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your response, now the half of my problem is solved
      But what about the extra packages that ca enhance the fonctionnality of pre-existing applications[(unrar, p7zip for Ark), (codecs for Amarok), (codecs for K3b),adobe flash player], i think is the same scenario of all users, and why did you remove "muon package manager" from the os

Comment

I agree that the removing of the package manager was foolish, what is there (Muon Search or Software center) is pretty but confusing and really not very useful.

For the rest, I can see your point that it would be nice to install without the need for an internet connection but I also believe it's nigh impossible to make a package that caters for all.
        B.t.w, several of the packages you mention can not be freely distributed because in the US they are IP encumbered.
        You might have a look at what Mint is offering, for all purpose they are Ubuntu with a weird theme but they seem to care less about US shenanigans.
        Last edited by Teunis; Sep 16, 2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Along the same lines, can I create a re-mastered kubuntu 14.04 cd with all my stuff? I know it's easier to use clonezilla to an unused partition, but want to play with creating a custom dvd. Or would this be better done in a vm?

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1874634
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

you can add a boot repair, I think all users will agree with this point

Comment

Working...
              X