Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB Ports not working and issues with ones that do work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Ports not working and issues with ones that do work?

I have 12 USB ports on my pc. My mouse only works if its plugged into a USB 3.0 port, but my TurtleBeach headset will not work no mater what port I plug it into. I also try to plug in my USB SD card reader and it doesn't get recognized. The odd thing though, is doing the lsusb command in console....it lists everything I have plugged in. Is this a settings issue I am not familiar with or do I have an issue with my USB ports/drivers?

I've tried changing my sound output in music players, skype and kodi....and the headset isn't listed. Not sure whats going on.

lsusb

Code:
     [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub [/COLOR]
    Bus 009 Device 008: ID 058f:6331 Alcor Micro Corp. SD/MMC/MS Card Reader 
    Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub 
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub 
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub 
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub 
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub 
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub 
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub 
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 10f5:0296 Turtle Beach  
    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 1532:0040 Razer USA, Ltd  
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431   
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

[/FONT]
    Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 06, 2015, 10:27 PM.

Looks like Turtle Beach is recognized. You may have to configure it or turn it on in your sound settings before you can see it in Skype, music player, etc? Just guessing.

Comment

I do that through System Settings > Multimedia correct? I can change it all through the device preferences but I still experience issues. If I have the headset to be prefered for anything....I am unable to use my mouse. When I hit the "test" button, I loose control of my mouse. It's almost like I only have 1 usb "active" and anytime I give priority to a USB device, I loose control of the others. I simply restarted the PC and the headset now shows up as an option for an audio device, but when I change the audio device....sound still goes through the PC speakers.

Comment

Wild Shot ... unless you have good reason not to, and just for the heck of it, try re-setting your "BIOS"/UEFI settings to default (or load optimized defaults, or whatever it is called in your BIOS setup menu). Of course, if you have favorite "BIOS" settings, you'll have to re-set them (e.g., turning off Secure Boot, turning off (or on) CSM, passwords if you've set any, etc.).

This doesn't sound like hardware, but have you had a quick look to make sure your USB cables are all tightly connected (what, say from the front panel (or rear panel) headers to the connections on the motherboard)?
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I dont think its a BIOS issue as I had to set them to default to get my dual-boot to work correctly and I havent made any changes.

As for the connections, im pretty sure the cables are in all the way as ive tried plugging everything into all ports (both front of case and back). And im pretty sure ive been locked out of my system bios, when I try to boot into UEFI I just get a black screen.

Comment

The only other thing I can think of hardware- or firmware-wise (I don't know about software settings), would be to "re-set the CMOS" as it is often referred to. I've had to do that with a fairly new board after I screwed up my UEFI-entry (as you have somehow) by over-experimenting . Each motherboard is different, the manual would tell how. I had to cut ALL power to the PC and Power Supply, change a jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 30 seconds, re-set it to 1-2, then power back on. Actually, as I had to do this, I also first cut all power to the PC, disconnected USB cables from the motherboard to the HDD and to the CD/DVD drives, do the CMOS jumper thing (from 1-2 to 2-3 for 30 seconds, then re-set it to 1-2), power back on to test it (OK), shut down again, cut power, re-connect the HDD and CD/DVD drives, then power On again. It all worked to clear up everything. You really never quite know about these things, I realize that in your case.
            Last edited by Qqmike; Sep 08, 2015, 08:03 AM.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

(Edited to make a detail precise about re-setting CMOS.)

Comment

Originally posted by bulletbutter View Post
                I dont think its a BIOS issue as I had to set them to default to get my dual-boot to work correctly and I havent made any changes.

As for the connections, im pretty sure the cables are in all the way as ive tried plugging everything into all ports (both front of case and back). And im pretty sure ive been locked out of my system bios, when I try to boot into UEFI I just get a black screen.
                I would at least look your bios settings. Mine had 3 or 4 option for USB. I couldn't get my front USB to work so I tried all sorts of combinations. Then I realized I had both the USB2 and USB3 wires plugged in to the motherboard. That doesn't work. Might also try updating your bios?
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1453017

Comment

Originally posted by wartnose View Post
                  Then I realized I had both the USB2 and USB3 wires plugged in to the motherboard. That doesn't work. Might also try updating your bios?
                  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1453017
                  Woah, woah!? What do you mean you had both USB2 and USB3 wires plugged in? Are you saying that I can't have both USB2 and USB3? Are you talking about the USB headers on the motherboard?

I did reset my bios and was able to get back to my UEFI bios but the USB options I had weren't relevant.

However, I am now able to use and switch ports for the headset, the card reader and the mouse.....so long as its USB2.0 (but for some reason SKYPE refuses to acknowledge it's even plugged in? Or do I have to do something to Pulse?). Now my USB3.0 ports are not being recognized in system settings. I'm going to do some research on BIOS updates. According to manufactures site, I'm on BIOS v. F2 and an update to F3 is available. It "Updates CPU AGESA code". Knowing that it helps initiate devices on the board but.....If I am not having the issue in Windows 10 would this even be the cause?
                  Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 08, 2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletbutter View Post
                    Woah, woah!? What do you mean you had both USB2 and USB3 wires plugged in? Are you saying that I can't have both USB2 and USB3? Are you talking about the USB headers on the motherboard? ....
                    I was talking about the headers. I have a little Asrock H97M-ITX/ac board and I plugged the cable into both the USB2 and USB3 headers. Front USB didn't work until I unplugged the USB2. First time I've loaded Linux on new hardware. Wow. I'm amazed at how well it works. Sounds like you are making progress but you definitely want USB3. Beats me if BIOS is the issue considering Windows works. Could be the issue though and if you're feeling brave...

Comment

Working...
                    X