This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install software manually offline

I'm trying to create a usb boot disk, but can't find how to install Unetbootin while offline.

How do I install the tar.gz file that I've transferred to Kubuntu?

Open it with Ark and Extract. There 'should' then be a .deb file you can just double-click on.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No .deb file. Maybe I downloaded the wrong file? It is unetbootin-source-613.tar.gz

Comment

Install file says:

# you will need "qmake" and "libqt-dev" to build this

cp unetbootin.pro unetbootin-pro.bak
        sed -i '/^RESOURCES/d' unetbbotin/pro
        lupdate unetbootin.pro
        lrelease unetbootin.pro
        qmake "DEFINES += NOSTATIC" "RESOURCES -=
        unetbootin.qrc"
        make
        mv unetbootin-pro.bak unetbootin.pro

Comment

That is the raw source code, You'll need to find an ubuntu compatible deb file, which you can double click on to install.

Do note that many deb files will have dependencies that you may not have on your system. I don't think unetbootin has any, but I could be wrong

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

I'm trying to create a usb boot disk
            What do you mean by that? what will you use this "usb boot disk" for?

Also, why unetbootin?
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              What do you mean by that? what will you use this "usb boot disk" for?

Also, why unetbootin?
              Ummm.... the OP wants to make a bootable linux distro install disk??

Remember, from another thread, the OP has no working network connection.
              Unetbootin has obvious use cases, especially as recent *buntu iso images seem to be difficult to create usb disk from, using the built-in usb-creator tools

Comment

The kubuntu iso files are hybrid images, so:

Code:
                $ sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/some.iso of=/dev/sdX
                as long as you are sure you know the correct value for X, your USB stick.

Comment

Yes, claydoh and ronw, exactly what I was wondering about, if there was an available iso to be placed, as in
                  https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...aller-using-dd
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                  X