This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detailed view of installed packages?

I have been looking around for ways to view installed packages in a more detailed way. I went into Muon, which shows applications to remove but that is about it. I was just wondering about this because over the weeks of use I have installed many packages to get certain things to function. But I would love to be able to remove packages I am not using. How do you guys cope with this? Is going into sources in Muon the best I can do?

Are you using muon discover or muon package manager? Package manager will give you much more information. Many people prefer synaptic package manager, although it pulls in lots of gtk dependencies when you install it, whereas muon is a Qt app.

From the commandline, you can use dpkg --get-selections to list all installed packages. You can sort the output by piping it to grep like so:

Code:
    dpkg --get-selections | grep apache2
    There are lots of other commands or viewing additional information about a package, it's difficult to know which to recommend without knowing what you're after. Here are a couple:

Code:
    $ apt-cache show apache2
    package: apache2
    Priority: optional
    Section: web
    Installed-Size: 462
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian Apache Maintainers <debian-apache@lists.debian.org>
    Architecture: amd64
    Version: 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5
    Replaces: apache2.2-common
    Depends: lsb-base, procps, perl, mime-support, apache2-bin (= 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5), apach
    e2-data (= 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5)
    Recommends: ssl-cert
    Suggests: www-browser, apache2-doc, apache2-suexec-pristine | apache2-suexec-custom, u
    fw, apache2-utils
    Conflicts: apache2.2-common
    Filename: pool/main/a/apache2/apache2_2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5_amd64.deb
    Size: 87574
    MD5sum: 1a3c280fe77537bb1f516b04d69f380b
    SHA1: 863b484814048a0f119aff3866c5ecb91a340ed5
    SHA256: d5f72c168275d886afff7782a9aaca17446a201f6b90147524b108714d3d059a
    Description-en_GB: Apache HTTP Server
    The Apache Software Foundation's goal is to build a secure, efficient and
    extensible HTTP server as standards-compliant open source software. The
    result has long been the number one web server on the Internet.
    This package contains the configuration files, init scripts and support
    scripts. It does not install the actual apache2 binaries.
    Description-md5: 2afad91d50cbfeff68d0e3436b9ce235
    Homepage: http://httpd.apache.org/
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Supported: 5y
    Task: lamp-server, mythbuntu-frontend, mythbuntu-desktop, mythbuntu-backend-slave, myt
    hbuntu-backend-master, mythbuntu-backend-master
    and...

Code:
    $ apt-cache policy apache2
    apache2:
    Installed: 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5
    Candidate: 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5
    Version table:
    *** 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages
    500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    2.4.7-1ubuntu4 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
    Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Yeah, not clear what your goal is, but ...

do you mean, clean, autoclean, autoremove? See man apt-get.

In MUON Package Manager, you can click on an installed package, and the tabs below show dependencies and installed files?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you are using Muon Discover, enter Muon Package Manager in the search box and it will show up --> click Install etc. (which, I think you probably know that).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah I was using Muon Discover which gives you almost no information. Went in and installed Muon Package Manager now. Thank you feather for providing those commands as well . Installed MakeMKV, and now I can play Blu-ray discs in VLC. Strangest thing I have ever seen.
          Last edited by jbads; Aug 31, 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbads View Post
            I have been looking around for ways to view installed packages in a more detailed way. I went into Muon, which shows applications to remove but that is about it.
            if you install muon
            Code:
            sudo apt install muon
            this is the package manager ,,,,,,you can sort by "installed"

Originally posted by jbads View Post
            I was just wondering about this because over the weeks of use I have installed many packages to get certain things to function. But I would love to be able to remove packages I am not using. How do you guys cope with this? Is going into sources in Muon the best I can do?
            I would use the command line for this as you can do a -s (simulation) with the remove option to see what elce is going to get removed ,,,some times removing one package will want to remove a lot more as well.

Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get -s remove xserver-xorg-core [/COLOR]
            Reading package lists... Done 
            Building dependency tree        
            Reading state information... Done 
            The following packages will be REMOVED: 
              nvidia-352 xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev 
              xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse 
              xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-cirrus 
              xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga 
              xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-openchrome 
              xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-savage 
              xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx 
              xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware 
            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 30 to remove and 0 not upgraded. 
            Remv nvidia-352 [352.30-0ubuntu1] 
            Remv xorg [1:7.7+7ubuntu4] 
            Remv xserver-xorg [1:7.7+7ubuntu4] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-video-all [1:7.7+7ubuntu4] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-video-vmware [1:13.1.0-0ubuntu1build2] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-video-vesa [1:2.3.4-0ubuntu1] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-input-all [1:7.7+7ubuntu4] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-input-wacom [1:0.30.0-0ubuntu1] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-video-trident [1:1.3.7-1] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-video-tdfx [1:1.4.6-1] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse [1:13.1.0-0ubuntu1] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-core [2:1.17.2-1ubuntu3] [xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-si
            susb:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-savage:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-neomagic:amd64 xserver-xorg-input-synaptic
            s:amd64 xserver-xorg-input-evdev:amd64 xserver-xorg-input-mouse:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-cirrus:amd64 xs
            erver-xorg-video-qxl:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-intel:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-ati:amd64 xserver-xorg-vide
            o-mach64:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-fbdev:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-openchrome:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-rad
            eon:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-r128:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-mga:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-nouveau:amd64 ] 
            Remv xserver-xorg-input-evdev [1:2.9.2-1ubuntu1] [xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion:amd64 xserver-xorg-vi
            deo-sisusb:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-savage:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-neomagic:amd64 xserver-xorg-input-sy
            naptics:amd64 xserver-xorg-input-mouse:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-cirrus:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-qxl:amd6
            4 xserver-xorg-video-intel:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-ati:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-mach64:amd64 xserver-xo
            rg-video-fbdev:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-openchrome:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-radeon:amd64 xserver-xorg-vi
            deo-r128:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-mga:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-nouveau:amd64 ]
            <snip> ,,,,,, and a hole lot more 
            [/FONT]
            of course clicking remove in muon will show the extra packages to be removed as well

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
            X