X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba/NFS Share problem

Hi everyone,

I've been with Ubuntu for a good few months, and then my partner gave me a Kubuntu Live CD, and I'll be honest, I fell in love immediately.

I've got it dual installed with Ubuntu (incase I changed my mind, I am female after all!)

Anyway... I'll stop the gabbling.

On Ubuntu we set up shared folders on each pc we were able to see each other's shared folders and take items from them by copy and pasting, but not actually write to each others (we could obviously write to our own)

Simon (being my better half) is still using Ubuntu, he didn't want to change, so I'm basically all alone when it comes to finding out things which is why I've now come here (bearing in mind he's the one who knows all about this in the first place, whenever something broke on Ubuntu, he'd fix it for me).

*shuts herself up*

Right.. the problem now is that Simon can see my shared folder on my home directory, but I cannot see Simon's and we have NO idea how to set it up so that I can see him, he's not changed anything on his pc, so it is my end that is the problem - we cannot find where to go to set it up so that I can see Simon's Shared

Please remember that I am rather new to all this, I wasn't very good with MS Windows XP (am I allowed to say that word here? ) I was more of an.. end user type person (yes, thick :P )

So please be very gentle and very descript with your answers

Hope someone can assist me

Carol
    I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Re: Samba/NFS Share problem

no-one want to help?
    I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Comment

Re: Samba/NFS Share problem

Hi,

Don't know if you solved your trouble, but maybe an idea would be to install kubuntu-desktop on your ubuntu install...
      I'm sorry I will not be a big help for samba troubles, and most of all I don't really understand how you've set these shares ? In samba configuration files ?
      Anyway, if it was running on ubuntu, you should maybe want to stick to all your files there and then just install kubuntu-desktop, so on login, you will be able to choose between gnome or kde.
      To do so, on you ubuntu install, type :
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      (NB : If your computer is connected to the net)
      Then, log out and in kde, it will be the same as on the other install, but with gnome application with it...

Hope it helped.
      Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X