X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTML Editor and Viewer

Hi,

Can someone recommend a simple HTML editor and viewer (WYSIWYG design)?

Thank you
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

UPDATE.

I have downloaded bluegriffon_1.7.2-1~getdeb2~raring_i386.deb

This programme should work well with my older machine, and is compatible with the 14.04 OS

What is the easiest installation method?

I noticed on the Bluegriffon site an older version of the program which I have left for the time being, but it might be a good alternative if the current version will not install or run.

Thanks

Ps. In case there are problems after installing. What is the recommended method of uninstalling this programme?
    Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 28, 2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

If its a deb file, you can just double click on it.

Comment

Thank you responding

When I click on the file I see the package installer, but the installer package button is 'greyed out'.

At the top of the installer, under status I see: ' Error: cannot satisfy dependencies (in red).

Advice please.

Best wishes.

Ps. In the meantime I'll see if Bluegriffon has a forum.

Comment

I think that editor might be dead. It hasnt been updated in two years.

Comment

I tried using the command line:

kdesudo dpkg -i package

No luck either.

Ps Have you come across a good html editor/viewer? There is a programme in the repository called Bluefish, but I believe this to be a text utility, not WYSIWYG

Comment

Take a look at KompoZer

Comment

At the moment the only wysiwyg-editor for LInux is BlueGriffon. It's not dead, but development is pretty slow.
                On this page there's a pretty good overview of editors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...f_HTML_editors
                It are not alle wysiwyg-editors, most of them are normal editors. Bluefish also is not a wysiwyg-editor, but a programmer's editor (coloured code etc)
                For Linux only a few wysiwyg-editors are available.
                Kompozer is really, really, really, really dead. It has been dead for years and is completely useless. The original programmer of the built-in editor from Netscape Composer wrote nvu, as stand-alone replacement for Composer. nvu was discontuned because some firm went bankrupt. Because of patents around the name nvu he went on with Kompozer: same program other name. The same programmer is right now behind BlueGriffon. So Kompozer is really really really dead. If you use it, you get completely outdated, worthless html, that doesn't work well in modern browsers.
                Amaya is discontuned and also worthless.
                OpenOffice makes completely worthless html (just like Microsoft Office). If you use it for anything more then very, very simple static pages, you'll for sure get big problems in some browsers, like completely disappearing images, text, etc.
                Seamonky Composer is the successor of the Mozilla Suite. The wysiwyg-editor belonging to Seamonkey has'nt been updated for years.
                There used to be Quanta Plus, a KDE-application, but that's dead too.
                If I didn't forgot anything, I've had all wysiwyg-editors for Linux named on that overview page.

So if you really want a wysiwyg-editon on Linux, you only have BlueGriffon at the moment. Maybe some windows-editor will run on Wine, I don't know.
                On WIndows you have much more wysiwyg-editors, but that's not only nice. If you use for example Dreamweaver, you can't change to another program, because Dreamweaver make proprietary code that will only work in Dreamweaver. If you want to change to another editor, you have to rewrite all of your code.

So the only possibility really is BlueGriffon, or maybe something running on Wine.
                But maybe you could try to write html/css yourself? For a simple page that's not too difficult. If you're interested, I have some sites with good, not outdated, free courses.
                I myself use Komodo Edit. Runs well on Linux, good support - even for the free version, nice forum, etc. But not a wysiwyg-editor...
                Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Aug 29, 2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Believe it or not, OpenOffice has pretty good HTML development capability. File_>New->HTML Document. Write your webpage as if you were writing a document. Include fonts, sizes, colors, tables, borders, boxes, graphics, etc. Save it as an html file. If you want to view the html source click the "View" menu and choose the file you named. What your document looks like is what you get in the source.

I did a LOT of HTML development using Kate in "Tools->Markup->HTML Source" mode and FireFox. I'd write the HTML code in Kate and frequently save and then use the reload feature of FF to view the changes I just made. I kept a second tab of FF open to http://www.w3schools.com/html/ as a help page and reminder and to cut and post code examples.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am posting the output from an attempted install at the command prompt. I hope it might be clear to some why I have a dependency problem. How can I overcome the dependency issue?

OUTPUT:

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~/Downloads$ kdesudo dpkg -i bluegriffon_1.7.2-1~getdeb2~raring_i386.deb
                    Bus: pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
                    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
                    dpkg: error: need an action option

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and uninstalling packages [*];
                    Use 'apt' or 'aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
                    Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
                    Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
                    Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through 'less' or 'more' !
                    andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~/Downloads$

PS. When I clicked on the debian file in Dolphin and received the message regarding lthe lack of dependencies does this message indicate that the debian file is too old for my OS. That is, my OS does not support older code?
                    Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 29, 2015, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
                      At the moment the only wysiwyg-editor for LInux is BlueGriffon. It's not dead, but development is pretty slow.
                      On this page there's a pretty good overview of editors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...f_HTML_editors
                      It are not alle wysiwyg-editors, most of them are normal editors. Bluefish also is not a wysiwyg-editor, but a programmer's editor (coloured code etc)
                      For Linux only a few wysiwyg-editors are available.
                      Kompozer is really, really, really, really dead. It has been dead for years and is completely useless. The original programmer of the built-in editor from Netscape Composer wrote nvu, as stand-alone replacement for Composer. nvu was discontuned because some firm went bankrupt. Because of patents around the name nvu he went on with Kompozer: same program other name. The same programmer is right now behind BlueGriffon. So Kompozer is really really really dead. If you use it, you get completely outdated, worthless html, that doesn't work well in modern browsers.
                      Amaya is discontuned and also worthless.
                      OpenOffice makes completely worthless html (just like Microsoft Office). If you use it for anything more then very, very simple static pages, you'll for sure get big problems in some browsers, like completely disappearing images, text, etc.
                      Seamonky Composer is the successor of the Mozilla Suite. The wysiwyg-editor belonging to Seamonkey has'nt been updated for years.
                      There used to be Quanta Plus, a KDE-application, but that's dead too.
                      If I didn't forgot anything, I've had all wysiwyg-editors for Linux named on that overview page.

So if you really want a wysiwyg-editon on Linux, you only have BlueGriffon at the moment. Maybe some windows-editor will run on Wine, I don't know.
                      On WIndows you have much more wysiwyg-editors, but that's not only nice. If you use for example Dreamweaver, you can't change to another program, because Dreamweaver make proprietary code that will only work in Dreamweaver. If you want to change to another editor, you have to rewrite all of your code.

So the only possibility really is BlueGriffon, or maybe something running on Wine.
                      But maybe you could try to write html/css yourself? For a simple page that's not too difficult. If you're interested, I have some sites with good, not outdated, free courses.
                      I myself use Komodo Edit. Runs well on Linux, good support - even for the free version, nice forum, etc. But not a wysiwyg-editor...
                      Thank you for the very detailed reply.

I don't think komodo edit is available in the repository?

Comment

It means that the packages is looking for other packages that either no longer exist or have been renamed/moved since Raring

A little secret:
                        go to bluegriffon's home page and download the newest ubuntu tar they list, extract it, and then simply double click the bluegriffon script inside. It is self contained, no need to compile or anything. It runs here in 15.10.......

Another sekrit:
                        Seamonkey still has a wysiwyg html editor component, which is actually what things like Nvu, Bluegriffon, Kompzer were all based on. Not to mention Firefox and Thunderbird. Still developed and supported by the community and hosted by Mozilla.

The download is also self contained, no install or building required.

Comment

If you want to try Komodo Edit, it's very easy to install. It's not in the repo, but I never had a problem instalilng it.
                          But now I do have a problem. I don't know how I installed it, and since I'm not a Linux geek at all I'm afraid to give you instructions how to do it. I saw there's a PPA now too.
                          If you want to try, be sure to use Komodo Edit, the free version. If you like it you can always change to Komodo IDE, the paid version. You can find instructions how to install it on internet, and there's for sure somebody here around who can help you too.

But it's absolutely no wysisyg-editor and it'll take quite some time to learn to work with itm because it has so many possibilities. (And you'll have to learn html/css and maybe javascript also.
                          You could try to isnstall BlueGriffon with help from people here. It is used on Linux, so it must be able to install it.

@GreyGeek: no, I don't beleive you OpenOffice and LibreOffice can export a document in html. But it's about ten times as big as it should be, because they use css the same way the old <font>-tags were used: in EVERY <p> you'll find an inline css style. And that goes for almost every element. So if you want to change something, it's impossible to do it by hand, because you'll have to change things on very many places. The only way to change something is by exporting a completely new document to html.
                          But that's the smallest problem. I've tested libreoffice about a year ago, maybe one and a half year. If you have a rather simple document, it works (except that's about ten times too big). But with lots of things, like margins around an image, if I remember well, you'll guaranteed to get lots of problems, even disappearing big parts of the text, images, etc. Everything I write is tested in about 30 browsers on about eight operating systems. And in every browser you'll have differences, including the disappearing of content. It's pretty well possible it's rendering well in Firefox, but that's no guarantee at all it works in Internet Explorer 9, or Chrome, or... One reason may be that the html LibreOffice makes doesn't validate. And it's also an outdated standard: html4.0 transitional.
                          One problem for example: the images are translated into data-url's. But not every browser (I refuse to blame Internet Explorer ) handles that well. That may be the reason some images simply disappear.
                          Just had a quick check, and it still looks the same as when I testes it more thoroughly. So I stay with my opinion: if it's a very simple document, and if you have luck, it renders well in every browser.

Kate is a very different story. That's an editor and works well, but it's not a wysiwyg-editor. I prefer Komodo Edit, but that's merely just what you like.

Edit: @claydoh: no, as far as I know the editor in Seamonky is not developed anymore. When I looked at it, also about 1-2 years ago, the composer-part was not maintained. If that's changed, Seamonky is a possibility too.

Edit 2: had a quick lookup for Composer (Seamonky), because it would be very nice if that's updated again. (I'm only talking about the Composer-part, not the browser etc.) But alas, there's no sign it's updated again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey#Composer says it's not maintained anymore. And in the overview on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...f_HTML_editors I gave before it says it writes only html 4.01 transitional. That's really old and probably means they'll also use lots of <font>tags etc, making the code impossible to maintain by hand. And giving more and more poblems in newer browsers.
                          Of course Wikipedia could be wrong, but the page with the overview is pretty good. Some of the editors I know myself and what they write about them is right, so I guess the part about Composer is right as well,.

Edit 3: finally found Seamonky's release notes. Composer was indeed only three times updated after 2006. And that three updates had to do with better integration in the suite. That's really a pity, because it should be really nice if there was a regularly updated, well working wysiwyg-editor on LInux.
                          Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Aug 30, 2015, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            It means that the packages is looking for other packages that either no longer exist or have been renamed/moved since Raring

A little secret:
                            go to bluegriffon's home page and download the newest ubuntu tar they list, extract it, and then simply double click the bluegriffon script inside. It is self contained, no need to compile or anything. It runs here in 15.10.......

Another sekrit:
                            Seamonkey still has a wysiwyg html editor component, which is actually what things like Nvu, Bluegriffon, Kompzer were all based on. Not to mention Firefox and Thunderbird. Still developed and supported by the community and hosted by Mozilla.

The download is also self contained, no install or building required.
                            I will try your suggestion regarding bluegriffon and ubuntu.

In the meantime, I found a bluegriffon file that is more up to date. I tried clicking on bluegriffon, but noted only a shell script.

I have enclosed a graphic that shows the files:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bluegriffon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	643016

Comment

Try this in the terminal.
                              Code:
                               ./run-mozilla.sh