This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best web browser for Kubuntu 15.04?

Started using Kubuntu 15.04 a few weeks ago now from Windows 10. This has been a great experience so far, glad to make the switch. But now I am at a point of constantly looking for the best applications to run on my system. I have been using the installed Firefox browser and honestly not impressed. Seems sluggish and has been running into a lot of script errors. Any suggestions for browsers I could try out? I would like to try out Chromium but I wanted to know if their was anything else out there that doesn't have that Google connection to it.

There are plenty of browsers out there, but many of them will likely lack that One Thing that you may want or need. The only way is to try them all and find out, really.
    Personally, I am a Chrome user, but again that is me. Been using Firefox more and more again, just to keep up, but I have not had any problems with it, though I have just about zero addons or anything added to it yet.

Blink-based
    • Chrome
    • Chromium
    • SRWare iron

Gecko
    • Firefox
    • Pale Moon
    • Iceweasel
    • icecat
    • seamonkey

webkit based
    • Qupzilla
    • Konqueror
    • Midori

Opera

And plenty more

Comment

I use Palemoon and find it matches my need very well. Although inox, a set of patches for Chromium does look interesting. Currently you would have to get the source code, apply the patches and build it yourself. Apparently that is not so straight forward for Chromium.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Personally, I love SeaMonkey. It's the older sibling of Firefox and Thunderbird; it contains a whole Internet suite, i.e., a highly customizable browser, an e-mail client (which is what I use for all my mail--and have carried mail with me since back in the Netscape Communicator days!), a web page editor. It has a fair amount of add-ons available, although nowhere near as many as some other, better known browsers.

Here's a screenshot; I colored the tabs myself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_SeaMonkey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	643013
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I like FF because it has add-on's that allow downloading videos, but chromium doesn't.
          I've found that having an IPv4/IPv6 dual stack with IPv6 as the default speeds up browsing considerably.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use palemoon too, but i keep inox & opera around

Palemoon is getting webp support soon
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I use Firefox as my main browser and Chromium for development.

Comment

Well last few days I gave Pale Moon a whirl, when it works I love it. But honestly it has been freezing up on me a lot. Usually while loading videos or massive amount of pictures on a forum. Going to give some of these other browsers a try next, Seamonkey next I am thinking.

Comment

Well last few days I gave Pale Moon a whirl, when it works I love it. But honestly it has been freezing up on me a lot.
                  That's what happened to me recently, when I tried it, too, even without the "massive amount of pictures." (Kubuntu 14.04, motherboard: ASUS H97-Plus, 8 GB RAM)
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

No crashes or locks here. I run the adblock edge and noscript extensions and only allow the bare minimum JavaScripts required for a site to function.
                    If you're sitting wondering,
                    Which Batman is the best,
                    There's only one true answer my friend,
                    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I run pale-moon from git, no crashes here. GIT has webp support
                      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                        No crashes or locks here. I run the adblock edge and noscript extensions and only allow the bare minimum JavaScripts required for a site to function.
                        Hm well I looked into "Adblock Edge" and it says it is a discontinued add-on. So looked around and there is something called Adblock Latitude which is a direct fork of Adblock Plus. Installed it and I have noticed improvements in scenerios I mentioned before. Think this might have solved the issues, going to continue to test for now.

Comment

Don't be afraid to try as many different browsers as possible, Linux is not Windows and there is no registry to bloat ;-) Also if you are using "Chromium" vs "Chrome", all the Google specific crud should be removed for you. Welcome to a new way of computing and I hope Linux works out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've tried a few other browser but I'm always coming back to Firefox.
                            I don't perceive it as slow, even with some dozens of tabs open it is fast enough for me.
                            After all, it's a while ago tabs were made to wait loading until they are accessed.

I can't say I've often seen crashes, if it happened the browser would easily come back to the same point it left me.

My second choice is Chromium, it is the browser I use for places with funny policies like no adblocking.

My Firefox has uBlock Origin, Ghostery, Flashblock, FacebookBlocker, ShareMeNot and VideoDownloadHelper.

Thunderbird has been my mail client since ever, basically since it started as an offshoot of Netscape.

It holds several ten thousands of mails, going back to 1997.
                            They are sorted per year in their own directories and the whole weighs in at nearly 10GB.
                            I can honestly say it never causes me problems.

I also use Thunderbird for the text newsgroups, my ISP has two servers, one for text only and the other, Newszilla, is a nice binaries server that I access via Pan.

Both Thunderbird and Firefox reside on a partition with 14.04 and they are linked to the 15.04 partition.

Comment

my two cents

I have an account with google for email,calendar, and music so I use Chromium. It allows me access to all the google apps I need. With Firefox I am unable to scroll with my touch screen and my keyboard music player buttons don't work with google music. I can do all these in Chromium though. My best advice is to try all of them and get a good feel for each of them and chose the one that meets the bulk of your wants and desires in a browser.

Comment

Working...
                              X