X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost entire Movie Database - 9 TB

Hello,

I just lost my entire movie collection of the past 20 years ( 9 tb ), not to mention personal data.

Looking for a data recovery app that can keep disk structure , i.e. folder and file name - very important.

Used testdisk but useless as completely ignores structure - a damn shame there.

Would prefer a gui led app but if a command line one is going to pull in disc structure with folder and file names , then i`d be open to the idea.

Can any one help me and Thanks.

And you mean, no backups?! That's the "damn shame." If not TestDisk/PhotoRec, then I'll bet you'll have to pay $ to have this done. I wish you luck. (Once, I lost just a hundred or so photos .jpg's, family, used PhotoRec to get 80 back, no file/folder info, though, but I never forgot that basic lesson re important data: backups. Sorry about your predicament.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi ,

Yes, actually it was PhotoRec that pulled in basically everything but with no file names or a basic structure , no feasibility there.

Comment

It would be hard to sort them that way, yes. You might write to Granier (the owner of TestDisk) and get his opinion.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by kdeuser View Post
          I just lost my entire movie collection of the past 20 years ( 9 tb ), not to mention personal data.
          Am I understanding you correctly: you didn't have backups? As Qqmike said, THAT is the "damn shame" in this situation. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to backing things up...but that's way better than the alternative, you know?!
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Just out of curriosity, how did you lose the movies in the first place?

You mentioned in your 2nd post that you used Photorec which did not file structure/file names. Does that mean you haven't used TestDisk?
            Last edited by Guest; Aug 16, 2015, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I am just assuming you won't have need for an undelete utility? I don't know how you can lose 9 TB in one go as the biggest disk today is 6 TB. So either you had a raid array and it completely crashed, or you accidentally deleted everything. There is only one LINUX undelete utility for ext2/3/4 that I know of but it doesn't undelete IN PLACE and it sucks anyway, but it does exist. It's simply called extundelete.

Code:
              $ apt list extundelete
              Listing... Done
              extundelete/stable 0.2.4-1 amd64
              It's almost impossible to use it in a good manner but you can just cause it to undelete everything and anything it comes across and put it in a different location (different volume/disk).

Comment

Working...
              X