This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove uefi boot entry 15.04

Recently installed 15.04 and loving it, however I tried out opensuse and did not care for it. So I went and uninstalled it. However it left opensuse-secure boot uefi as an option in my boot order in my uefi bios. Wth? How do I remove this? Any programs in Kubuntu 15.04 that could do the trick?

I presume you already tried re-booting a couple times to see if your UEFI firmware setup would not detect it and maybe remove it, maybe, sort of.

Open your Konsole terminal (K > Applications > System > Terminal (Konsole)).
    Type
    sudo efibootmgr
    to see your BootOrder setup (as reported by your UEFI firmware).
    The program efibootmgr should be installed already since you have a UEFI installation of Kubuntu, but it can always be installed using your Muon Package Manager or by sudo apt-get install efibootmgr.

Now see the man page for efibootmgr to learn how to delete that one, single boot variable for OpenSuse -- be careful not to delete a whole bunch of stuff unless you are certain what you are deleting.
    So, at Konsole, type
    man efibootmgr
    and read through that man page until you come to deleting entries -- there are examples at the very end of that man page, too.

Numbering: If a boot variable is 0005, for example, you can call it 0005 or usually get by calling it just 5 in the efibootmgr commands. To be safe, I usually try to just write it out as 0005, but both methods seem to work OK.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Aug 13, 2015, 05:56 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hm, so I typed in efibootmgr -b 0003 -B, 0003 would be where that opensuse entry was located. The response I get from the terminal is "EFI variables are not supported on this system.". Yes I did install by using sudo apt-get install efibootmgr in the terminal as well.

Comment

What do you get when you run the command
        sudo efibootmgr
        ?
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Same thing "EFI variables are not supported on this system." Now here is my guess, when I installed Kubuntu I just went with the the standard install from my usb drive, not the UEFI verison. Something to do with it perhaps?

Comment

Yep. Sounds like you may have a standard BIOS+MBR installation of Kubuntu, not a UEFI installation.
            UEFI require the 64-bit version of Kubuntu AND when you re-boot the computer you must enter the firmware UEFI setup menus and select the Kubuntu USB that indicates EFI/UEFI in its description.

Comment

(As you may know) if you are seeing things in the GRUB boot menu that you'd rather not see (like an entry for OpenSuse), you can boot into your Kubuntu and issue these commands:
              sudo grub-install
              sudo update-grub
              and that should clean things up and refresh things (w/GRUB).

Comment

In case I'm away from my computer for awhile, and fwiw, future reference:
                UEFI for Kubuntu--simplified ... and some dual-booting tips for Kubuntu
                https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post373198

Comment

Well worked like a charm thank you again, that was really driving me crazy. Also one other question, before the system boots into Kubuntu it says it is booting in unsecure mode. So that is completely normal correct?

Comment

Yes, it is OK to see that message: booting in insecure mode. It just means that you have Secure Boot turned off (in your UEFI setup menus). It is OK to have Secure Boot turned off, I have mine turned off, and most experts I've read also advise turning it off (it can complicate certain things, and it may have little benefit).

Comment

Your setup right now is OK: Kubuntu booting in BIOS mode (on a UEFI machine) -- no problem. If you ever do decide to install Kubuntu in UEFI mode, it's a good idea to partition your hard drive using the newer GPT scheme. Use GParted Live CD to make a new GPT for you, then make your partitions (including an ESP), then install Kubuntu in UEFI mode. (You might check that how-to I linked to above, first.)

Comment

I actually did a reinstall of Kubuntu using UEFI option instead, to even get that fix to work. I didn't mind starting over.

Comment

Now this should work:
                          sudo efibootmgr

Also, gdisk should show whether you have a MBR or a GPT scheme on your disk.
                          If you want to mess with this .......

You usually have to install gdisk using Muon Package Manager, or by
                          sudo apt-get install gdisk

Then, to use it to see your HDD:

sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda

(or sdb or sdc, whatever your disk is).

Example:

Code:
                          sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
                          GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Partition table scan:
                            MBR: protective
                            BSD: not present
                            APM: not present
                            [B][COLOR=#ff0000]GPT: present[/COLOR][/B]

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
                          Disk /dev/sda: 976773168 sectors, 465.8 GiB
                          Logical sector size: 512 bytes
                          Disk identifier (GUID): D3B766B4-D998-4351-8F06-13BC87F55BDE
                          Partition table holds up to 128 entries
                          First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 976773134
                          Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
                          Total free space is 111493101 sectors (53.2 GiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
                             1            2048         1026047   500.0 MiB   [B][COLOR=#ff0000]EF00 <-- this is an ESP[/COLOR][/B] 
                             2         1026048        62466047   29.3 GiB    8300  
                             3        62466048       267266047   97.7 GiB    8300  
                             4       267266048       300034047   15.6 GiB    8200  
                             5       300034048       361474047   29.3 GiB    8300  
                             6       361474048       566274047   97.7 GiB    8300  
                             7       566274048       567298047   500.0 MiB   EF00  
                             8       567298048       669698047   48.8 GiB    8300  
                             9       669698048       772098047   48.8 GiB    8300  
                            10       772098048       773122047   500.0 MiB   EF00  
                            11       773122048       824322047   24.4 GiB    8300  
                            12       824322048       865282047   19.5 GiB    8300

Comment

Another example:

Code:
                            sudo efibootmgr
                            BootCurrent: 0000
                            Timeout: 1 seconds
                            BootOrder: [B][COLOR=#ff0000]0000[/COLOR][/B],0003,0001,0004,000A,0005,0006,0002,000B,000C,0007,0008,0009
                            [B][COLOR=#ff0000]Boot0000* ubuntu <-- this is actually Kubuntu, first in the UEFI BootOrder[/COLOR][/B]
                            Boot0001* debian
                            Boot0002* grub_sda5K1504
                            Boot0003* rEFInd Boot Manager
                            Boot0004* Mint_2
                            Boot0005* Hard Drive 
                            Boot0006* CD/DVD Drive 
                            Boot0007* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
                            Boot0008* UEFI:Removable Device
                            Boot0009* UEFI:Network Device
                            Boot000A* Mint_1
                            Boot000B* ubuntu
                            Boot000C* ubuntu

Comment

Working...
                            X