This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guyz newbie noob here

First of all let me start by saying that i never used anything other than windows, on surfing the internet i came to know about kubuntu im using kubuntu 15.04 amd desk 64 ,yes i have an intel i7 with 2 hard drives and one ssd,my motherboard is z87 g55,8gigs RAM,GPU msi gtx 660 twin frozr.
    Im currently typing this from 8 though,firstly i thought this OS can be installed very easily ,OH boy i was in for a real surprise,couldnt even find which local disk to install the kubuntu to,after a lot of searching i found sda,sdb,sdc meant and after 11 failuring installation i finally found out how to do this and installed the kubuntu. NOw coming into problem after logging in i wanted to change wallpaper or desktop pic and the computure froze and nothing works ,the first thing i pressed was ctrl+alt+del old habits but alt f2 ,ctrl alt f2 i tried everything computer really froze i had to turn of power,on the second time there was a tear in grapics,Oh by the way im using VGA,i think it is grapical issue need to update driver.The installation file on windows was .exe what is it on Kubuntu?,and i want to download nvidia driver but what drivers am i looking for?(clueless noob here)linux 64bit ,free bsd 64 i have no clue couldnt find it,anyway the computer began freezing ,so i deleted kubuntu.Can someone plz tell me how to update this driver and what softwares do i have to get for sound??.

I really have a bad internet connection so i have to do the downoading of drivers manually,i wanted to be prepared before installing Kubuntu again and is there a way to minimize(not full screen i mean) console(cmd like thingy)??

Any Help is appreciated and FYI i dont know A B C D of the codes u guyz r talkin?i wanted to download every software that is needed to run kubuntu and i would prefer to download this from windows( a system i am familiar with).

If u guyz want to know how to install windows 8 and Kubuntu on same time on UEFI bios fell free to ask (lol @ myself to whom am i telling this)

Any help is appreciated

15.04 has some bugs relating to video, depending on the gpu.

For the most part, you have a well rounded set of software to get you up and running already present.
    You do not normally go out and download all kinds of different things from different websites and install them like you do in windows, it is totally different animal. You use a package manager to find and install programs, and for Kubuntu you have Muon Discover as the default for that.

As to video drivers, it is the same thing. While you can grab all the stuff from Nvidia, it is a chore and butt-pain to do it that way. However, if you look at System Settings, you will find a Driver Manager that will install the proprietary Nvidia driver for you.

I would also suggest trying out 14.04 instead. The new Plasma is too fresh, while 14.04 is much more widely used, and will likely have better video quality out of the box
    Plasma 5 in 15.04 can be OK, but one has to add software repos and update it to (hopefully) get a better experience. As a new user, 14.04 will be easier to learn on, and easier to search and troubleshoot.

Comment

@claydoh ty for reply

ok i will use 14.04,when i was installing 15.04 in a separate harddisk it had some data on it in a local disk- i couldnt delete that drive,so i could only generate root(/),swap and EFI local drives and not /home,could this be a problem?

what i am asking is in a fresh new harddisk, can you only create 4 partition namely root ,EFI,swap and home.I am asking this cause when i tried to create more it says unusable.

this is a request if u r using 14.04 can u post some pic or directions on how to get these driver updated on 14.04,like where to find the driver manager and stuff like that and can u tell me what extension the kubuntu uses instead of .exe in windows.

Thank YOU

Comment

Hi Tokiyo and welcome to world of Ubuntu (Kubuntu if you'll be using Plasma desktop).

The following link should help you to install Kubuntu (it is aimed at Ubuntu but is the same as Kubuntu, the only difference is that Ubuntu uses Unity desktop with GTK apps and Kubuntu uses Plasma desktop using QT apps.)

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ubuntu-desktop

Actually in the Ubuntu guide where it recommends to download updates during installation, don't especially as you've mentioned that you have a poor internet connection. Do the updates after it has been installed.

This other link will give tell you about Kubuntu 14.04 and has a few links informing you how to download the disk image and burn it to a DVD or USB stick.

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.04

I hope these links help you.
        Last edited by Guest; Aug 07, 2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokiyo View Post
          @claydoh ty for reply

ok i will use 14.04,when i was installing 15.04 in a separate harddisk it had some data on it in a local disk- i couldnt delete that drive,so i could only generate root(/),swap and EFI local drives and not /home,could this be a problem?

what i am asking is in a fresh new harddisk, can you only create 4 partition namely root ,EFI,swap and home.I am asking this cause when i tried to create more it says unusable.

this is a request if u r using 14.04 can u post some pic or directions on how to get these driver updated on 14.04,like where to find the driver manager and stuff like that and can u tell me what extension the kubuntu uses instead of .exe in windows.

Thank YOU
          For the most part, you do not install programs from an EXE sort of thing (though in some cases it is possible).

We use DEB files, and you can install them by double-clicking on them, but the entire way that software is packaged, delivered, and installed is completely different than how you do things in Window. We use central repositories and package manager programs to handle software installation and updates.

Think of the Play Store - which is actually based on the concept we use in Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Debian/etc

Software is compiled and turned into deb packages and uploaded to the repository. The software is commonly broken down into smaller components so that only what you need is downloaded and installed, including any other components that may not be present on your system. In a Windows exe file, it has to contain everything anyone could possibly need inside it to cover all possible systems it might have to run on.

You find and install software using a package manager - in Kubuntu you will have Muon Discover (The Software Center), as well as the command-line one called apt but there are other options as well. You find what you want to install, and then tell it to go ahead and do so. It will download and install the program, as well as any missing bits you might need. While it may seem like it is downloading a lot, it really isn't. It may be grabbing a large number of packages, the overall size of what you are downloading is likely smaller that what you'd have to download as an exe.

The problem with finding and grabbing an individual DEB file is that the file you grab may require other things to be installed as well, so you have to go and find those (and anything that those might require) . So even with a spotty internet connection, you are still much better off using the package manager. There are exceptions to this, but usually for non-free software. Google Chrome browser is one example. You download a deb file, and double click it to install - but even that will also down load and install a small number of extra bit that it needs.

You can find the package manager by going to your K-menu, and going to Applications >> System, or simply typing either 'package' or 'muon' in the search bar there.

As to drivers, open your System Settings and look for "river Manager" If it is not in there (I don't run 14.04, so I may be wrong) , type 'driver' in the search bar in your K-menu. It will go and determine what proprietary drivers you may need (mainly graphics drivers) and offer to install them if available - it should even specify the recommended driver if there is more than one option - go with that one.

Comment

Regarding these max. 4 partitions, have a read up about different partitions like primary, logical and extended:

http://www.howtogeek.com/184659/begi...ons-explained/

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Plasma 5 in 15.04 can be OK, but one has to add software repos and update it to (hopefully) get a better experience.
              Sorry to butt in and be a bit off topic but I'm going to anyway. Could you point me at the repos please?
              If you're sitting wondering,
              Which Batman is the best,
              There's only one true answer my friend,
              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

The standard and official Ubuntu repositories are 'programmed' into apt and Muon also accesses this list.

There are many other repo's that are called PPA for Personal Package Archive.

Here is one explanation of them:
                http://askubuntu.com/questions/4983/what-are-ppas-and-how-do-i-use-them

PPA's can easily be added to the existing list.
                Be aware they are not controlled and there is little security guarantee, a bit like what you would experience on Windows.
                Yet many of them are very highly regarded for solid and/or interesting work, if you don't trust one check on line for it's reputation before you install!

I use a few that suit my user scenario and wishes like the one run by Google for Google Earth, an important one to get more recent updates for Kubuntu related stuff called Kubuntu backports and the so-called xorg-edgers PPA for the latest nVidia drivers etc.
                Another one is the Plasmazilla PPA where they keep Kubuntu specific varieties of Mozilla products, especially their Firefox is better than standard.

So read the postings here for tips or ask your friendly search engine including the letters PPA and the words Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

I must say I've rarely had problems using these but be aware that this stuff can be rather cutting edge and don't moan if it breaks something.

Oh yes, forget about the version of Muon that is installed by default and instead use Muon Package manager, it gives much better control.
                Best is of course to learn a few CLI tricks and use apt-get.

Comment

You can study the file /etc/apt/sources.list (in the Kubuntu version you are using).
                  Principles are here:
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Not really sure what you were looking for.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah I know about PPA's. Linux user for over twelve years and fed up with the "geeky" distros. I arrived Kubuntu when it was handy in an emergency.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    Not really sure what you were looking for.
                    The PPA mentioned above to get a better plasma 5 experience
                    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                      Yeah I know about PPA's. Linux user for over twelve years and fed up with the "geeky" distros. I arrived Kubuntu when it was handy in an emergency.

The PPA mentioned above to get a better plasma 5 experience
                      this one ,,,,,,,, https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...s_filter=vivid

follow the instructions for adding it on the page linked to ,then ,,,,,,,,,,
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                      VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Brilliant. Thank you.
                        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                          Brilliant. Thank you.
                          LOL ,,,ya ,dont thank me till you do it and it works out for ya ,,,,,,,,I had good luck with it ,,,,,,some not so much ,,,but thay may have had other issues as well

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, it seems to have worked ok; so the thanks stand :lol:
                            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                              Regarding these max. 4 partitions, have a read up about different partitions like primary, logical and extended:

http://www.howtogeek.com/184659/begi...ons-explained/
                              For most modern PCs, this no longer applies as GPT partitioning will likely be supported and in use. If it has EFI it almost certainly uses GPT which does not have those limitations, although EFI is not a requirement for GPT support.

With GPT partitioning, there is no arbitrary limit to the number of partitions and no "primary/extended/logical" scheme.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X